Smittybuilt traction mats suck

• HTML tutorial

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Bought the mats for 150$. Took them home and laid one on the curb and street to represent an angle. I stepped on it and bounced and it cracked. I weight 220. These are only meant to be used on flat surfaced. Buy the Max Trax, they flex. I am not happy.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Sincerely, and redundant, aren't traction mats meant to only be used on flat surfaces? Do the Max Trax advertise for "ramp" ability?

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

im not sure of any traction mat that can double as a "bridging ladder". However, they should be able to withstand going up a curb. what would happen if you're on a incline and need the assistance? sorry, cant use them and use something else? doesnt that defeat the purpose of having something like this on board

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

The max trax are used in situations where you need to bend and flex. Watching XO, they use them all the time and the bend and flex to ensure a proper ride. The smittybuilts do not have flex at all, almost as if they are made of a different compound.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've never seen those, warranty must be nice! I will just use mine for sand and mud. I just got excited and wanted to test them out before I got stuck to see what they could do.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
im not sure of any traction mat that can double as a "bridging ladder". However, they should be able to withstand going up a curb. what would happen if you're on a incline and need the assistance? sorry, cant use them and use something else? doesnt that defeat the purpose of having something like this on board
Yes, they should be usable on an incline, but I do mean flat, not level. In other words, traveling through sand, inclined, you hit an extra soft spot. You dig in. You wedge the ramp under the front of your tires. Since you've dug in, the front of the ramp very well may be sticking up in the air, as your tire is down in a hole. As you role forward, wherever your tire is, and vehicle weight, the ramp is in contact with the ground. Not bridged over a gap.

Watch any Dakar race in it's entirety. You will see plenty of use.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
The max trax are used in situations where you need to bend and flex. Watching XO, they use them all the time and the bend and flex to ensure a proper ride. The smittybuilts do not have flex at all, almost as if they are made of a different compound.
XO?

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Its a really good documentary of the Overland experience. albeit they are well sponsored, and have all the top of the line gear, it makes one aware of the possibilities. I liked the pines of last season over, rather than the palms, of this season too.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Well, I like them very much. Great filming and a good story. A bit too American for me. But hey, that is simply the case.
They do a really good reprensentation about Overlanding. It is not only rock crawling or mud diving, but seeing loads of new things.
I know for sure I will do Overlanding this year in Morocco, and yes, lots of interesting places to see, loads of new food and new people. And Ohw, there will be some driving too.

Greetings from Robert

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

I have the smitty builts, I didn't pay for them though, I won them in a raffle. I haven't needed to use them yet, so I hope they hold up when that time comes. I am looking into the TRED 800s just in case.

Reactions: TractionJack