Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Reyes
Last Name
Murrieta
Member #

Im looking for a good double sized sleeping pad for sleeping inside of my durango. I am currently leaning towards the exped MegaMat duo 10 but figured i would ask the community for any input for or against before I make the purchase.

My current arangment is dual exped UL7s which are great for backpacking, but i'm looking for somthing a lot more comfortable and less likely to slide off of in the middle of the night.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I bought the single version of this. I like the pad, I can control the air that I put in it to manage how much cushion I want. It's thick enough and it's not like an "air mattress" that two people really can't sleep on.
The downside is, if you want to roll it up, it takes up quite a bit of room.

Dan.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

We use the Cabela's Ultimate sleeping pads.... the 2 velcro together.
This link isn't it, but you get the idea.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/camp-bedding/sleeping-pads|/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/cabela-s-ultimate-xl-sleeping-pad/2436882.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/sleeping-pads/_/N-1100678/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104484780

It's basically a memory foam so when you open up the valves it inflates automatically.
To have foam under you rather than just an air mattress it gives you a better R value and if you spring a leak you still have something to lay on (worst case scenario).

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

Got the Exped last summer for the family camping. My wife has back issues so a good pad is essential. Honesty, it's a great pad. Durable and super comfortable. It has an R value better than most air mattresses (which are zero) and easily inflated. I have a number of Exped products and have had really good luck.

We may still give REI Kingdom setup a try but very mixed reviews on its durability. With a 6 and 8 year old in the tent durability cannot be over rated.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I bought the single version of this. I like the pad, I can control the air that I put in it to manage how much cushion I want. It's thick enough and it's not like an "air mattress" that two people really can't sleep on.
The downside is, if you want to roll it up, it takes up quite a bit of room.

Dan.
I bought the full size (50"x77") version of that when I couldn't find the ExPed Mega Duo for sale anywhere.

It inflates pretty quick through four valves and doesn't really require a top-off from a pump. It's constructed OK, but I think the ExPed version would have been worth the premium for the better materials and maybe a slightly smaller packed size.

I've only got one night on it so far, but it's very comfortable. I use it in conjunction with a Big Agnes Dream Island bag and it's a really nice, if bulky, setup. The one night we used it, it got down to the mid 20's and we were plenty warm. The real test will be whether or not it's too warm for the summer.

The packed size is big. 50" long and 12-14" in diameter. It fills in the back floor boards of the 4Runner with just enough room left over for a small bag with our camp pillows and throw blanket. Not an issue when it's just us and the dogs, but if we had passengers in the back we'd have to find a new place for it; probably on the roof in a waterproof bag.

I will say that I'm going to buy another bag for it since it's a real pain to get back into the bag that came with it. I found a huge, cheap duffle on Amazon and I think it'll be a lot easier to use.

ram6

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Reyes
Last Name
Murrieta
Member #

Thanks for all the great insight, I think I am going to go with the Exped MegaMat Duo 10. Size was my big concern, but if it is durable and will keep my wife comfortable I think I can find a place for it.

Besides the relatively large storage size (L 27.6 x D 11.8) and bag (it looks like they have a new bag design for 2017 that addresses the stuff bag issues), does anyone have any other negative experience with it?

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

@ram6 my suggestion is to purchase and have shipped directly to me. My wife and I are happy to test out the larger size. Doing this purely out of the kindness of my heart. :)

ram6

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Reyes
Last Name
Murrieta
Member #

@ram6 my suggestion is to purchase and have shipped directly to me. My wife and I are happy to test out the larger size. Doing this purely out of the kindness of my heart. :)
@ClearwaterScott Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to keep this in mind as you never know what kind of issues will show up without the proper testing! :tonguewink:

Reactions: ClearwaterScott

Scotlund

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I was visiting a buddy a couple weeks ago who's a rafting guide and he had me sleeping on his Paco Pad. Apparently these are the go-to sleeping pad for rafters.

It was comfortable, looks/feels really durable, and while not small when rolled up, it isn't too massive.

He said that the company that makes them will do custom orders of any size you want. Which got the gears turning in my head.

Seriously considering getting one custom made for my 4runner.

http://www.nrs.com/category/2914/camping/sleeping-pads

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scotlund

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I was visiting a buddy a couple weeks ago who's a rafting guide and he had me sleeping on his Paco Pad. Apparently these are the go-to sleeping pad for rafters.

It was comfortable, looks/feels really durable, and while not small when rolled up, it isn't too massive.

He said that the company that makes them will do custom orders of any size you want. Which got the gears turning in my head.

Seriously considering getting one custom made for my 4runner.

http://www.nrs.com/category/2914/camping/sleeping-pads

Here's a link to the custom pads:

https://www.jpwinc.com/products.php?cat=8

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Paco pads are right for the river, but that cover material gets hot.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Might be too late for this but I got 2 of these from Wish.com. Originally plan to have them short term but i have yet to have a need to replace them. Nice and compact and provide good padding too. They clip together so you can make a double or triple or what ever sized bed.

Capture.JPG