Sleeping in my rig

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Salt Lake City, Ut
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Simpson
Watching some videos of the Overland Bound on YouTube gave me the idea of rather than using a tent to just sleep in the back if my rig. My question is how do you keep the bugs away without. losing all the doors and windows?

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
There are several brands of bug repellent bands that get great review. That would allow you to have the wide open spaces and not get eaten by bugs.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I sleep in the back of my 4Runner so I bought a set of these window sunshades that allow me to leave the back windows open for ventilation while also keeping the bugs out. Not sure what rig you're planning to sleep in so I'm not sure if these would work for you.

Reactions: Outdoordog

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Furrdaddybobby
Watching some videos of the Overland Bound on YouTube gave me the idea of rather than using a tent to just sleep in the back if my rig. My question is how do you keep the bugs away without. losing all the doors and windows?
This is basically what I've copied:

I have one for the sunroof as well, which lets me vent hot air and be less conspicuous when needed. It's hidden by my roof rack unless someone climbs up and looks.

I saw another video where someone took out the plastic trim around thier windows and glued rare earth magnets inside every 5-6" or so around the opening then reinstalled the trim. From there he could install both screens and blackout curtains on the inside of the rig that were invisible from the outside and were a neat clean install. He ran a set of AVS visors on the door windows which allowed him to lower them ~2" and still not get wet if it rained. Found the video link:

Boort

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

DeepSleep makes a fitted air mattress for JKU/JLU's and over window screens similar to above but made for Jeep windows. As for door and topless? Elevation is your friend.

Reactions: Dlnuckolls

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We have fitted canvas screens on the side windows, with insect-proof mesh and flexible covers with velcro to adjust the opening for ventilation. The rear door opening has a fiitted mesh screen. We also have the slip-on "socks" for the front windows, however the rear window screens are the primary means of adjusting for weather.

Side window mosquito net.jpg08 Montero rear door open with mosquito net.jpg

Attachments