Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Is it safe to assume that an aluminum clamshell RTT will block the signal on my factory sat radio (2017 Jeep Wrangler)? If so, is it a simple unplug it and buy a magnetic mount antenna and move it to the top of the RTT? Any recommendations on which antenna to buy? Will the RTT also effect the Navigation on the radio?

Reactions: Coreymol

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It will absolutely block the signal. A moveable antenna is about the only decent alternative.

Reactions: Ubiety

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Any idea where to find one? I've done a quick check on the web and have found one that would work if mounted fulltime on the RTT, but not easily switched back to factory when the RTT is taken off for the winter.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Depending on how far your tent extends over the freedom panels, Maximus-3 makes a relocation bracket for the sat antenna ($35), moves it from over the speaker bar to the passenger front corner of the roll bar. We are just getting ready to add their roof rack and relocation bracket and will see how it goes. we are only using a 56 inch tent and short rack that does not extend to far over the panels so I don't expect any issues. Bracket seems very simple, would have made my own most likely if it did not come with the rack. Have to re-route the wire down the B pillar and up the A pillar.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Depending on how far your tent extends over the freedom panels, Maximus-3 makes a relocation bracket for the sat antenna ($35), moves it from over the speaker bar to the passenger front corner of the roll bar. We are just getting ready to add their roof rack and relocation bracket and will see how it goes. we are only using a 56 inch tent and short rack that does not extend to far over the panels so I don't expect any issues. Bracket seems very simple, would have made my own most likely if it did not come with the rack. Have to re-route the wire down the B pillar and up the A pillar.
Did you need an extension for the antenna wire to reach?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Did you need an extension for the antenna wire to reach?
It is not supposed to, We are in the middle of installing the rack, should have it done in the next few days, will grab a couple of photos as we do it and let you know and to show the final new location. From what I understand, the wire runs from the radio along the floor and up the passenger B pillar, so for to move it, just have to go up the A pillar instead.