Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I am still building out my rig and I need a kitchen idea. I need it small, easy to breakdown or pack away, and preferably not a permanent fixture in my jeep.

- I still use my jeep as my daily driver so it cant be always in there
- When doing on a trip the back seat will come out so that space can be used.
- any suggestions?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use a action packer, (The size is no longer avable) perfect for two persons. My 6 person is a jumbo plastic thing. Pots and coffee pot fit in the wash tub, the frying pan is upside down with the plates under it. I use a tool roll or utensils, cooking knives, and eating stuff. there are 2 spice boxes on ether side of the frying pan handle. Wine goblets and coffee cups float, the cooking oil and other liquids fit between spices and wash tub.

Reactions: Jk.Overland

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

All my kitchen cookware, camp stove (JetBoil Genesis) and utensils go in an 8-gallon action packer. While available at HD, they do only come in a 4-pack. I use the other three for other gear. Food goes in another bin. Works great.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I store all my cooking gear in different boxes that are well organized in the back of my Armada. I have a classic Coleman with two stoves. I have two Front Runner Wolf Packs, and a great metal Zarges box, which is one of the best purchases I've ever made (linking it for those who don't know it). Zarges K470 Aluminum Cases (Multiple Sizes)

I try and store all the cooking utensils (forks, knives, chopping board) in one Wolf pack. The pot and pan and coffe stove in another box. The Coleman stove on it's own as it has a metal protecting cover, and the food inside the Zarges box. Then, the fresh food in my MV50 portable fridge.

I haven't yet built a drawer system, but that will be my next addition. Feel that's the easiest way to keep stuff organized.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Simplify your cooking setup as much as possible . Pre cut up your food at home and dump it in ziplock bags . Focus on meals that can be cooked in one pan and served on tortillas or bread , saves on needing dishes and cleanup further helping to keep your cook setup small .
This but I would use plastic Tupperwares so less plastic waste and can reuse them for leftovers.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Several years ago, I got a Camp Chef Sherpa as a little bonus thing from work, and have to admit it actually worked pretty well for a compact kitchen. I still have it, actually, though I've since built a removable drawer cube. Fairly portable, lightweight (depending on how much you stuff in it) with 4 separate stack bags. I had one loaded with cooking stuff, one with the sink and cleaning stuff, one with "campsite" stuff (ropes, tie downs, etc...) and one I'd put dry foods in. Roll up top holds a cookstove nicely. Plus, the collapsible legs allowed some extra flexibility, including using it in something of a tailgate mode.

sherpa.jpg

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)

Attachments

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

We pack in a Jeep JK as well. When you are building out your kitchen there are certainly some considerations. How many people are you cooking for, what do you like to eat, will you be cooking over fire etc. Once you have that down then you can start looking at gear. I have both white gas and propane two burner stoves and single burner (no need for more than one but stuff accumulates over time) and use the white gas more. We just completed a month long trip and everything was cooked over a Firebox G2 with or without the butane Trangia insert. So decide the answers to the above questions and then we can give you some steers on gear and storage. For storage we use Zarges or All-Box cases which I really like but have used Rubbermaid in the past as well.

Just remember the Jeep JK has limited payload so heavy is a bad word in most cases.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I use a action packer, (The size is no longer avable) perfect for two persons. My 6 person is a jumbo plastic thing. Pots and coffee pot fit in the wash tub, the frying pan is upside down with the plates under it. I use a tool roll or utensils, cooking knives, and eating stuff. there are 2 spice boxes on ether side of the frying pan handle. Wine goblets and coffee cups float, the cooking oil and other liquids fit between spices and wash tub.
That sounds like a great setup! My only concern is size. I plan to be sleeping inside my jeep majority of the time so packing small is a must.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Simplify your cooking setup as much as possible . Pre cut up your food at home and dump it in ziplock bags . Focus on meals that can be cooked in one pan and served on tortillas or bread , saves on needing dishes and cleanup further helping to keep your cook setup small .
That is exactly what I currently do. I have a single burner Coleman stove, a pot/pan set, and a set of travel utensils. I eat out of those pot and pans for less to wash. I am looking to add a bit more to it. basically simple but worth the little bit of extra space

Reactions: 9Mike2

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

All my kitchen cookware, camp stove (JetBoil Genesis) and utensils go in an 8-gallon action packer. While available at HD, they do only come in a 4-pack. I use the other three for other gear. Food goes in another bin. Works great.

I have never heard of these "action packers" but you are the second to suggest them so I will defiantly be going to check these out! Thank you!

Reactions: Tundracamper

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I store all my cooking gear in different boxes that are well organized in the back of my Armada. I have a classic Coleman with two stoves. I have two Front Runner Wolf Packs, and a great metal Zarges box, which is one of the best purchases I've ever made (linking it for those who don't know it). Zarges K470 Aluminum Cases (Multiple Sizes)

I try and store all the cooking utensils (forks, knives, chopping board) in one Wolf pack. The pot and pan and coffe stove in another box. The Coleman stove on it's own as it has a metal protecting cover, and the food inside the Zarges box. Then, the fresh food in my MV50 portable fridge.

I haven't yet built a drawer system, but that will be my next addition. Feel that's the easiest way to keep stuff organized.
I have looked at Zarges boxes before and they are very very nice, just a bit out of my price range right now. I am in a 2dr Jeep JK so I don't have the space for a drawer system with the way I plan to camp. Thats why I want simple and easy to pack. thank you for the suggestions. Always looking for ideas for the future. I want to get a big SUV and convert the whole thing to a permanent overland rig

Reactions: 9Mike2 and GBGCR4x4

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Several years ago, I got a Camp Chef Sherpa as a little bonus thing from work, and have to admit it actually worked pretty well for a compact kitchen. I still have it, actually, though I've since built a removable drawer cube. Fairly portable, lightweight (depending on how much you stuff in it) with 4 separate stack bags. I had one loaded with cooking stuff, one with the sink and cleaning stuff, one with "campsite" stuff (ropes, tie downs, etc...) and one I'd put dry foods in. Roll up top holds a cookstove nicely. Plus, the collapsible legs allowed some extra flexibility, including using it in something of a tailgate mode.

View attachment 215988
That would be great, but since I am in a 2dr Jeep JK I dont have the space for it. I plan to do alot of car camping along the way so space is at a premium in my rig.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Bought a couple totes from 75Built overland (Overland Storage Crates | 75Built). modded one with a tool pouch riveted to the lid and a strap.Other one holds a couple pots and pans. Coleman 4in 1 table top grill fits nicely in the small action packer.
I am really liking this setup! very compact yet has everything you may need or want. In the second picture of the stacked boxes. Is that bottom one and 8 gallon action packer? I was suggested those and I was curious how the physical size was and how "strong" or sturdy they were?

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

That would be great, but since I am in a 2dr Jeep JK I dont have the space for it. I plan to do alot of car camping along the way so space is at a premium in my rig.
How small are you trying to get? The Camp Chef is about the size of a 55qt cooler with the legs retracted.