Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
So everything is going good, we get a RTT and a Teton Mammoth bag, everything seems to be awesome, but one thing... you do not know how precarious getting in and out of a RTT can be with a sleeping bag with an outter surface like a greased up scotsman.

I was hoping to see an outer canvas shell as an accessory, but only see liners.... anyone have any recommendations or have solved this issue? Wife would not like to have to use my leg as a climbing rope to get out of the tent to go to the bathroom, while I am lauging so hard, I'm crying.

xemrac

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texas, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Schmelzer
So everything is going good, we get a RTT and a Teton Mammoth bag, everything seems to be awesome, but one thing... you do not know how precarious getting in and out of a RTT can be with a sleeping bag with an outter surface like a greased up scotsman.

I was hoping to see an outer canvas shell as an accessory, but only see liners.... anyone have any recommendations or have solved this issue? Wife would not like to have to use my leg as a climbing rope to get out of the tent to go to the bathroom, while I am lauging so hard, I'm crying.
Not sure what kind of temps you are dealing with but I have found that ditching the bag and just using a sheet/blanket combo (bed-like) setup is great in my Skycamp 2x. I've been very comfortable in the low 30's. Another big plus for me, is that if laid nice and flat, all of my bedding remains in the RTT when travelling so i don't have to fuss with it until I'm back home and everything needs to be cleaned.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Not sure what kind of temps you are dealing with but I have found that ditching the bag and just using a sheet/blanket combo (bed-like) setup is great in my Skycamp 2x. I've been very comfortable in the low 30's. Another big plus for me, is that if laid nice and flat, all of my bedding remains in the RTT when travelling so i don't have to fuss with it until I'm back home and everything needs to be cleaned.
Hrm maybe will try that, another suggestion is getting a couple of canvas tarps and sew a sleeping bag... for the sleeping bag... lol, so its not so slick on the outside, but yea, I leave my mammoth bag in the tent, folds up still* (With some weight... my weight on top) to cinch it down lol. It does get cold in the mountains but not this time of year.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
They make sleeping bags with a canvas out shell that wouldn't be so slick, I'll see if I can find the link to one I saw recently.

Ok, the Coleman Dunnock has a cotton outer shell and below is a link to the Coleman with a canvas out shell!

Reactions: educky

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I use an old, old Coleman canvas bag unzipped to lay on and my slippery mummy bag unzipped as a cover...unless it gets really cold. Then, it's time to zip up the mummy or even get out the extreme cold army bag that it never gets cold enough around here for. May take that bad boy to the Rockies but it's heavy and somewhat bulky.

Reactions: bryceCtravels
D

Deleted member spartan430

Check out this bag. It’s a bag that can be used in warm, cool, or cold weather. Very versatile. Worth the money. You don’t want to be climbing in/out of a RTT wrapped like a burrito, It’s not safe. Throw on a down jacket, go do your business and get back in the tent. Being chilly for a couple minutes won’t kill you. You could always use a bottle to pee in and not leave the tent. Common practice by mountaineers. In Alaska we used a square Nalgene bottle which was different from the normal Nalgene bottles we used for water. No danger of mixing them up. All I’ve got. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So ehm... Usually you get out of the sleeping bag... Or go to the toilet before you go to bed and then again in the morning...

But hey there are military sleeping bags with sleeves and a zip around the bottom section so you can walk around with it.

Or this one...

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Check Cabela's, they have canvas covered sleeping bags down to 0 degrees. Both down and synthetic.

Edit. I am often amazed at overlanders need to reinvent the wheel instead of looking a sources of stuff already on the market. Backing backing, hunting, mountaineering all have felt with these kind of things years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

"Here honey use my leg"

"THAT'S NOT YOUR LEG!"

Sorry, LOL, I can't help you with your actual problem, but low hanging fruit is not to be left un-picked

Reactions: bryceCtravels

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
Hrm maybe will try that, another suggestion is getting a couple of canvas tarps and sew a sleeping bag... for the sleeping bag... lol, so its not so slick on the outside, but yea, I leave my mammoth bag in the tent, folds up still* (With some weight... my weight on top) to cinch it down lol. It does get cold in the mountains but not this time of year.
They make sleeping bags in the form of a bed, ie a square. For me, I use one bag spread open beneath and one bag spread open above. Basically like sheets on a bed. Throw a few blankets in and off I go.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Here’s my two cents:
I’m assuming your RTT has the standard foam mattress, maybe 3 inches or so. You can add a layer of reflective foam padding, similar to Reflectix or the Thermarest Z-Lite pad, under your mattress to retain body heat (shiny side toward your body). Use a cosy bottom sheet made of flannel or similar material. Then one or two fleece blankets to cover you, topped with a down-filled blanket or unzipped sleeping bag. Keep in mind that the quality of down and fill rating matters, so you’re not going to find a quality down blanket/bag at Walmart. Both Enlightened Equipment and Katabatic make great blankets. This is where you’ll spend the bulk of your investment.
I’ve used this setup when sleeping in a lightweight ground tent into the low/mid teens. The water in my Nalgene bottle froze and there was frost inside the tent fly, but I was plenty warm. It only sucks when you have to go to the bathroom and leave your snuggly bed!