Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
The first question people ask me when they see my XC70 "Ove" is: What are those boards on the side of the vehicle?
The answer is quickly given: They are Maxtrax that can help me if I get stuck.

People, from the overland scene, tend to ask: How did you get the rails on the vehicle? This question is not always easy to answer.

For this reason, I thought I would explain my planning and implementation. It has to be said that it is my solution, which I have discussed and planned with various experts over weeks, months and years. There might be a universal solution, but because the shapes and edges of the cards are different, they are often not applicable.

The shape of the Volvo (even if it is called the "brick design") is not suitable for attaching everyday airline rails. Another solution was needed. Finally, I decided to glue aluminium item profiles (i-profiles) to the side windows. Yes, that's right - glue them. Now I had to find out what kind of glue was best suited for this application. I spoke to people from the car industry, the caravan industry, and production. The best product for my case was a polymer adhesive from Dekalin - Dekasyl MS-5. The manufacturer's product description says: "Power adhesive for the entire vehicle construction with high initial strength. Structural bonding of polyester parts on metal frames, corner profiles made of aluminium, air-conditioning boxes, solar and SAT systems, frames and wheel covers, reversing camera, etc.".

The advantage of this adhesive is that it remains somewhat flexible and thus absorbs oscillations or vibrations while driving. This is exactly what I need when I glue aluminium to glass.

To accommodate the slight curvature of the pane, I applied a little more glue, creating a wedge in the rear end (see picture).

So far, I have been using the mounts for about 20,000 km on the motorway and off-road (as far as you can off-road with an XC70 ;) ).

It is bombproof. In future, two horizontal rails will also be mounted on the passenger side, and space will be used for Peli cases on the side.

The construction has been approved by our very meticulous German TÜV (Technical Inspection Authority). And that means something

Attachments

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Thank you for this post and confirming what I had in mind for a while. I hate drilling in new cars. I know that many cars now don't use welding anymore, but adhesives to build the structure of the car, so there are solutions for sure.
To put airlines with bolts, means also putting some reinforcement plates on the other side, but with adhesives the stress is distributed, it is not longer only in 2-3 points where the bolts are, so it eliminates the need for that as well.

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I was stationed in Germany for a few years. (Some of my happiest years....) and if it is TÜV approved it is good to go.......

Jim

Sam Roach

Rank I

Contributor II

United Kingdom
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Roach
Great solution! Although many manufacturers do this when producing the vehicle I have never quite been brave enough to do it in my own aftermarket projects and have always found myself having to deal with the many pitfalls of traditional fixings. It would be interesting to know what sort of loads it could withstand.