Shower tent In-progress Quick-En-Suite / KickAss Style..

• HTML tutorial

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
My motto has long been why buy when you can build it.

After I first saw a video on the Quick-en-Suite, I KNEW this was the perfect solution for our needs. then I saw the price....

So I did some digging around and found some DIY versions. So I watch some videos, and picked up a set of fairly basic plans, that where crude but did fill in some gaps. mixed it all together and came up with a slightly modified design, that is a bit more compact.

Started by putting the finger brake kit to use, and bent up some brackets for the arms.

20200810_102810_001.jpg

The original drawing showed 2 different length brackets, but I later discovered I could make them both the shorter length making the folded unit more compact and uniform looking

20200809_132104.jpg

The trick was to notch the Right arm where the left front pivot bolt interfered.

20200810_160034.jpg

This also means that that left front pivot bolt had to "float the arm" so it would nest properly.

20200810_160044.jpg

You can see the gap between the top of the C channel and the 1" tube. this lets the pivot pin and arms fold into the right arm.

20200810_155928.jpg

Testing out the frame movement

20200810_160007.jpg

20200810_160020.jpg

The arm brackets are drilled and tapped to mount to the back plate. and I added a piece of round tube to the open channel for the pivot bolt to go through

20200810_160050.jpg

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Interesting idea. Can't wait to see it completed.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Well... this one had a oops moment

I was cutting the slots to hang the curtain webbing when the router grabbed and and took a big chunk out. Time to practice aluminum tig welding so I can weld the hole up and recut it..

In the mean time... here is one of the side rails with some very ugly slots routed in.
20201214_084041.jpg

To the Back burner again...

Reactions: GreenRemy

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Necessity and ingenuity are the parents of invention...I really enjoy taking an idea and making it my own, sometimes even making improvements, if only in my own opinion... keep us posted.

Reactions: GreenRemy

Lapsurg

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon
First Name
J
Last Name
Janster
After seeing that youtube video, I had the same diy project. At that time (2020), the existing shower enclosures were really pricey. I had a cheap pop-up one from Amazon. My wife loved the privacy. However, that cheap one folded in the wind and the zipper broke after a couple trips. This was one of my pandemic projects (learning to sew).

Looks like we had similar aluminum folding brackets, diy of course. Mounted in a cheap gun case. I don't keep it permanently mounted, as it would be pilfered in no time. It's also not a very durable case. I just slide it onto angle brackets whenever needed.
IMG_3068.jpgIMG_3241.jpgIMG_3239.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_0567.jpgIMG_3334 (1).jpg

Since I completed the project, it looks like several companies have now sourced and are selling nearly identical enclosures. I like my diy version. I wanted full 72" height privacy and a larger area (42"x42"). I also put top-down and bottom-up ykk zippers on opposite corners, for more flexibility.

I didn't bother cutting slots in the aluminum for webbing. It's hanging by shoelaces. The shape is held by 1/4" plastic rods sewn into the top and bottom edges.

GreenRemy

Rank I

Contributor II

Green, KS, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Lund
I see faded paint and DIY and I'm in!! Nice work so far.

I've got a TIG welder on my wishlist to use on aluminum and lighter steel. Will be watching your progress.

Reactions: Pyrotech