Shafer Trail in Canyonlands UT (Shafer Canyon Rd)

• HTML tutorial

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Has anyone traveled the Shafer Canyon Road in Canyonlands area? Mainly the nasty switch backs. If so do people usually travel one way, whether up or down? There is no way you could go around anyone on that section of trail. What are anyone's experience or advice for this section of trail?

Thanks

DaveSLC

Rank 0

Contributor II

Has anyone traveled the Shafer Canyon Road in Canyonlands area? Mainly the nasty switch backs. If so do people usually travel one way, whether up or down? There is no way you could go around anyone on that section of trail. What are anyone's experience or advice for this section of trail?

Thanks
It is two way. I've been both ways. Yes it is tight but there are places to pass. You can see other cars coming up; just find a good spot and wait to do it there :)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Yes, it is a 2 way road. If you only want to go one way you can get back out to Moab on Potash Rd. (Bottom of the switchbacks, first road on the left).

Reactions: Acolle

Acolle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ang
Last Name
CO
Member #

Yes, it is a 2 way road. If you only want to go one way you can get back out to Moab on Potash Rd. (Bottom of the switchbacks, first road on the left).
Yes. Do this. The drive to Moab on Potash is great. There is also an epic camp spot (Shafer Campground) just after you get onto Potash Rd. from White Rim Rd. On the left side. Views forever. And it has facilities. People don't really think about camping out there. Empty the past few times I've been through. Enjoy!

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
Yes. Do this. The drive to Moab on Potash is great. There is also an epic camp spot (Shafer Campground) just after you get onto Potash Rd. from White Rim Rd. On the left side. Views forever. And it has facilities. People don't really think about camping out there. Empty the past few times I've been through. Enjoy!
Do you need a camping permit to camp there or is it first come, first serve?

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

Permit required! It is a single site. Minimal charge. We camped there 2 years ago Easter week. Incredible site! Camping on White Rim Trail is reserved designated sites only.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JKHiredGun