NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
I'm locked in on a mid July overlanding trip. I'll be driving a rented Tacoma overlander I'm picking up in Las Vegas & hoping to gather some suggestions for routes through cooler temps to the west/northwest of Las Vegas. Looks like the Sierras are the best temps and I see Sequoia & Sierra National Forests are nearby, and northward looks great too.

Any suggested routes & camp areas for a July 19-25 window? Thanks, all insights & encouragement are welcome

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
That time of Summer you'll be better off the further north and higher elevation that you can get. It is somewhat easier to get to higher elevations from the Eastern side (off of 395). MVUMs are a good place to start. Most of the cross-mountain highways have options (not much on 120 except for developed campgrounds, but 108 and further north are pretty good).

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
That time of Summer you'll be better off the further north and higher elevation that you can get. It is somewhat easier to get to higher elevations from the Eastern side (off of 395). MVUMs are a good place to start. Most of the cross-mountain highways have options (not much on 120 except for developed campgrounds, but 108 and further north are pretty good).
Thanks Proton, planning to aim for higher elevations. Any suggested trails you like? The Taco has rear locker but no winch so harder obstacles are out. I rock crawl in NC but this is our first overlander trip.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Thanks Proton, planning to aim for higher elevations. Any suggested trails you like? The Taco has rear locker but no winch so harder obstacles are out. I rock crawl in NC but this is our first overlander trip.
Laurel Lakes, Kavanaugh and Leavitt are all easy/moderate and fully doable without a winch, but also high enough to escape most of the warm weather and other annoyances. Bring a water filter and be prepared for full-on pack-it-in/pack-it-out. Mid-week they should be fairly free - crowded on weekends. We got stopped just before the top at Laurel last week, but the snow should be gone by now.

2021-06-03 You Shall Not Pass.jpg

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Hi again, still committed to our July 18-25 overland trip with my son but wildfires are already beginning in the Sierras . Was planning on wheeling & camping at elevation in Sierra & Sequoia National Preserves/Parks/Forests to beat the heat but may get skunked by the fires. Any suggestions for a backup destinations if the fires push us out of the Sierras? (we pick up our Tacoma in Las Vegas). Thanks !

jnicks01

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nicks
I just got back yesterday from the upper Sierra area. We spent 6 days up there. I also rented the Tacoma, but out of San Fran. I'm assuming the same company. If so, they are great!!! This was my first overlanding trip ever. This is what I learned and can offer:

1. We started in Stanislaus off of rt 120. There is a fire ban in the entire forest. Also, LOTS of bushes on the trail sides. At least where we were. Pretty, but not a pretty as northern areas west of Lake Tahoe.
2. Since we were on the door step of Yosemite, we got our reservation and spend the first half of day 2 doing the sites. We got out of there and took 395 north up to Sonora Pass area to Leavitt Lake. There is a nice trail to the lake with a little challenging area. Worth it!!! Some premier camping spots along the road or at the lake. The lake WILL have others there. The trail did not.
3. From there we hit the pavement for a bit to get to the Eldorado NF. NO FIRE BAN!!! Spent most of our time there. Plenty of trails and dirt roads to keep you busy.
4. Popped into Tahoe NF for a hike, but fire ban left us heading back into Eldorado.
5. As of last week, the only areas we were traveling in that did not have a fire ban were Eldorado and most of Toiybe NF. Not sure of the BLM lands around Mono Lake. But as the season gets later, i'd have a plan B and C as fires may be more prevalent.
6 If you don't like people around, stay away from areas of recreation (reservoirs, major rivers, anything less than a mile or so off a main paved road).
7. I used Gaia for my planning and routing. Works pretty great for a rookie like me. Download maps! There is NO service in most areas.
8. I have access to a plotter for blueprints, so I make hard copies of all the MVUMs for the areas I'd be in.
9. Message me and I can share a few coordinates near some awesome spots I found.IMG_20210627_141907051_HDR.jpg

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
I just got back yesterday from the upper Sierra area. We spent 6 days up there. I also rented the Tacoma, but out of San Fran. I'm assuming the same company. If so, they are great!!! This was my first overlanding trip ever. This is what I learned and can offer:

1. We started in Stanislaus off of rt 120. There is a fire ban in the entire forest. Also, LOTS of bushes on the trail sides. At least where we were. Pretty, but not a pretty as northern areas west of Lake Tahoe.
2. Since we were on the door step of Yosemite, we got our reservation and spend the first half of day 2 doing the sites. We got out of there and took 395 north up to Sonora Pass area to Leavitt Lake. There is a nice trail to the lake with a little challenging area. Worth it!!! Some premier camping spots along the road or at the lake. The lake WILL have others there. The trail did not.
3. From there we hit the pavement for a bit to get to the Eldorado NF. NO FIRE BAN!!! Spent most of our time there. Plenty of trails and dirt roads to keep you busy.
4. Popped into Tahoe NF for a hike, but fire ban left us heading back into Eldorado.
5. As of last week, the only areas we were traveling in that did not have a fire ban were Eldorado and most of Toiybe NF. Not sure of the BLM lands around Mono Lake. But as the season gets later, i'd have a plan B and C as fires may be more prevalent.
6 If you don't like people around, stay away from areas of recreation (reservoirs, major rivers, anything less than a mile or so off a main paved road).
7. I used Gaia for my planning and routing. Works pretty great for a rookie like me. Download maps! There is NO service in most areas.
8. I have access to a plotter for blueprints, so I make hard copies of all the MVUMs for the areas I'd be in.
9. Message me and I can share a few coordinates near some awesome spots I found.View attachment 203045
Wow thanks for very current intel jnicks!, I’ll pour they ur note and May have some follow up questions

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Jnicks, just to be sure, your note refers to fire ban which I’m guessing means we can’t have a campfire, and does not mean the area is closed because of fires? What kind of temps were you seeing on your trip?

jnicks01

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nicks
Fire ban is no campfires. Some don't mind but we like the ambiance. The forestry services will have some control burns going on that will close areas. Those are pretty well listed on each other their respective websites. I just would keep checking each NF website for latest alerts and closures. They are pretty current on that info. We even made a few phone calls to ranger districts just to confirm. You don't want a fine. I hear they are hefty. Temps were very random and changed quickly depending on location. Most afternoons were hot. 90s. But it is dry and wasn't too uncomfortable. Nights were normally around 50. The highest elevation we camped at was not the coolest so it's hard to use that logic. I'd assume July would be similar.

Last edited: