Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Saint Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Brent
Last Name
LaBonde
Member #

I'm starting my dual battery set up. I'm doing yellow top optima's and I got an f-er second battery trap ( old battery currently in it ) i have 4guage ofc and 2 inline fuses. What is anyone/everyone using for isolaters between them

Attachments

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Since my dual setup is intended for assistance rather than a true house battery (I'm not running solar or a fridge, etc), I chose the Keyline 140A VSR. It's worked flawlessly for a couple years now. And the price was right.

One thing to note is that there is no switch or anything to bypass the unit without the alternator running. Meaning if you somehow drain the main battery overnight, you can't easily connect the aux battery to start the vehicle. I knew this going in, but it's something to consider.

Reactions: Visiontrd

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I just run a 200 amp solenoid. It will flow enough current to help my main battery if needed and allow the main to support the auxiliary while winching. I've been running this type of setup for decades. Dual batteries in my offroad vehicles and multiple batteries in my campers.

Put a rubber cover over the battery post. Those are big enough to accidentally touch with something. Eventually, replace the huge fuse behind it with a nice manual reset breaker. Unless its 200 amp or higher inline with the aux battery. Then leave it and carry a spare.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just run a 200 amp solenoid. It will flow enough current to help my main battery if needed and allow the main to support the auxiliary while winching. I've been running this type of setup for decades. Dual batteries in my offroad vehicles and multiple batteries in my campers.

Put a rubber cover over the battery post. Those are big enough to accidentally touch with something. Eventually, replace the huge fuse behind it with a nice manual reset breaker. Unless its 200 amp or higher inline with the aux battery. Then leave it and carry a spare.
This is how I run my dual battery setup as well…

Reactions: Visiontrd