Rank I

Traveler III

New England, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Uhl
Hey folks,

First-time poster here. Can anyone recommend a good adventure trailer that can mount both a large RTT (we're a family of five) and a 270-degree awning? I'm looking for something that, ideally, can keep the tent mounted relatively low during travel, to reduce drag, but allows for the awning to be mounted higher, at least 6-7 feet off the ground. If there's a good easily adjustable solution out there, that'd be great.

Many of the manufacturers that came up in my internet searches seem to have gone out of business within the last five or six years. Also, I have neither the time nor the know-how to go the DIY route (though a few modifications here and there would be fine).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I know its not really close but Overland Expo is October 6-8, you can see lots of trailer there.

Reactions: zgfiredude

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hey folks,

First-time poster here. Can anyone recommend a good adventure trailer that can mount both a large RTT (we're a family of five) and a 270-degree awning? I'm looking for something that, ideally, can keep the tent mounted relatively low during travel, to reduce drag, but allows for the awning to be mounted higher, at least 6-7 feet off the ground. If there's a good easily adjustable solution out there, that'd be great.

Many of the manufacturers that came up in my internet searches seem to have gone out of business within the last five or six years. Also, I have neither the time nor the know-how to go the DIY route (though a few modifications here and there would be fine).

Thanks in advance for your help!
There's still lots of options out there, with prices being extremely varied.

Before we can make any sort of recommendations, first we need to know what your budget would be. You can spend up to 50k for something like a patriot or turtleback, or 8k for a smittybilt. You may also get lucky and find something on CL or marketplace.

EarthboundBob

Rank I

Traveler III

New England, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Uhl
We'd like to not exceed $10-15k for the trailer itself. I did look into the Smittybilt Scout but came across enough reports about quality issues to give me pause.

Contributor II

First Name
Megan
Last Name
Adolph
check out rustic mountain overland - see if they have anything you'd be interested in!

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

We have had a 5x9 Hiker Trailer midrange since 2021. Purchased before they came out with the XL package. It has gone with us everywhere we have wanted to go with it... Quality is top notch and you can purchase them at a reasonable price and modify as you see fit or spec it out with them exactly as you want it.