Securing a Camper Shell?

• HTML tutorial

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Question: is there a better way to secure a truck camper shell and tailgate than the standard keyed locks?

Background: I drive a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with an ARE cab height camper shell. We have a false platform we use for sleeping and store our overlanding/camping bins underneath. Think the bins that usually go under beds for storage. Someone broke into my shell last night (at our apartment, residential neighborhood) and grabbed the bins with about $500 of camping equipment (boots, stove, hammocks, battery pack, etc). Because the bins weren't secured, everything was basically boxed up and ready for them to take everything. I'mooking for a better or more convenient way to make sure everything stays locked and out of sight. We have been discussing building modular custom drawers, so now seems like a better time than ever to get started on it.

Pics of what was left.
IMG_20181105_130538.jpeg
IMG_20181105_130556.jpeg

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Cdaug, your post is so relevant for me and my near-future plans.

First, man, I hate to hear you got ripped off no matter where it was - but really!?? In a residential Austin, TX neighborhood! What a sh@tty thing to have to deal with. Short of backing up to a cliff, brick wall, large tree, etc. I don't know if you can secure the tailgate and shell hinged door any other way. But then the next weak points are the side windows on a camper shell which may end up getting busted out. At least they wouldn't be able to get to the bins under the plywood shelf/divider.

When I read you post outloud my wife reminded me, , "Locks only keep honest people honest" - Thieves will find a way into any of our stuff - even our homes - if they are motivated and have the time. Sad world but this isn't new - theft has been an issue as long as human have been breathing air.

I had been trying to find a used shell for sale for my PU so I could drive into the mountains of central Mexico early next year for a couple months - for the security of our gear while we are in cities and towns mostly - but now your (much appreciated) post & experience has dashed that plan. Thanks for sharing before I've had a similar experience in a foreign county and remote location.

Now I'm thinking I need to go to metal bins vs poly/plastic and maybe use a plastic coated cable with eyelets run through the in-bed tie down points and then through holes drilled thru the bins (dust is a concern here however) or maybe welded or bolted-on eyelets to the bins themselves. Heavy duty padlocks may discourage but most likely won't prohibit tampering or theft anyway.

Now you've got me rethinking my whole trajectory... I really don't like the drawer systems 1) cost, 2) lack of versatility for a Daily Driver, 3) I need to use my pickup bed for other things not just wheelin and camping - errg...

If you come up with a solution please share.

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Cdaug, your post is so relevant for me and my near-future plans.

First, man, I hate to hear you got ripped off no matter where it was - but really!?? In a residential Austin, TX neighborhood! What a sh@tty thing to have to deal with. Short of backing up to a cliff, brick wall, large tree, etc. I don't know if you can secure the tailgate and shell hinged door any other way. But then the next weak points are the side windows on a camper shell which may end up getting busted out. At least they wouldn't be able to get to the bins under the plywood shelf/divider.

When I read you post outloud my wife reminded me, , "Locks only keep honest people honest" - Thieves will find a way into any of our stuff - even our homes - if they are motivated and have the time. Sad world but this isn't new - theft has been an issue as long as human have been breathing air.

I had been trying to find a used shell for sale for my PU so I could drive into the mountains of central Mexico early next year for a couple months - for the security of our gear while we are in cities and towns mostly - but now your (much appreciated) post & experience has dashed that plan. Thanks for sharing before I've had a similar experience in a foreign county and remote location.

Now I'm thinking I need to go to metal bins vs poly/plastic and maybe use a plastic coated cable with eyelets run through the in-bed tie down points and then through holes drilled thru the bins (dust is a concern here however) or maybe welded or bolted-on eyelets to the bins themselves. Heavy duty padlocks may discourage but most likely won't prohibit tampering or theft anyway.

Now you've got me rethinking my whole trajectory... I really don't like the drawer systems 1) cost, 2) lack of versatility for a Daily Driver, 3) I need to use my pickup bed for other things not just wheelin and camping - errg...

If you come up with a solution please share.
Hey Eric!

Thanks for reaching out, wasn't sure anyone was going to see this, but I'm glad I could share a cautionary tale. Like I said, it could have been much worse.

Addressing some of your points:
  • The weak point in my case was the lock to the camper shell itself. Not sure how they got in, but everything they took could have been pulled from opening the camper shell alone and lifting up the boards we have on top. The tailgate itself as a lock and was locked at the time (3rd party, pretty sure it was Pop N Lock keyed to the truck key), only the plywood panel closest to the tailgate (I have 3 pieces, each 2 ft long going the length of the bed) was disturbed.
  • Both of the locks (tailgate and camper shell) were MANUAL locks. In the future, I'll be investing in power locks that can run off the same wiring as the truck keyless entry. This will just make it that much easier to make sure everything is locked. Some of the camper shell ones take off the handle, so I'm hoping that can deter thieves also. We also sleep in the camper shell on the platform, so it would make it that much easier to stay secure inside.
  • Depending on what you're using it for, make sure you only have valuables in the truck when you need them. This was the hardest lesson because the situation was entirely preventable, and in fact was prevented for our higher dollar gear. In this case we had under bed storage on each side full of about $500 worth of gear. We just transitioned to a smaller apartment and don't have the room to store them inside. We thought it would be fine leaving the larger bins in the truck camper shell (mistake) and moved anything more than $100 per item inside (only good thing looking back). The bins were not attached to anything, which was originally good for us at camp but is also good for thieves.
  • I share a lot of the same concerns as you from a daily driver perspective. I'm not a fan of the DECKED systems primarily from price point, but also because you "lose the bed" with something like that.
We've been looking at some resources on the internet for things to try. I'll try to keep this updated as I find new things.
  • We are heavily considering a semi-permanent DIY drawer system (link, link2). This works for our Tacoma because of the tie downs you mentioned. The key will be to secure the drawers to the bed somehow, otherwise we run the same risk of them removing the entire drawer system again. I like what the first video guy did by securing to the factory tie down points.
  • The key for us will be securing everything to the bed underneath, then having a cover that makes it difficult to figure out how to remove the drawers. I trust the tailgate lock far more than the camper shell, so we're leaning pretty heavily on that, just making sure the drawer's can't be removed without taking the tailgate down.
  • We're also aiming for a black cover to hopefully make it less obvious there's something underneath. The bright plywood is pretty easy to see at night and would make it a good target.
  • A major factor in the design we're looking for is the ability to be removable (with the tailgate down, some power tools, and extra internal locks) in case we need to use the whole bed (moving from our small apartment in a few months). I really like Desk to Dirtbag's series of videos, specifically locking the platform to the tailgate. Even if they could get inside, getting anything out of the truck would be difficult.
Outside of all that, I hope this helps shed some caution, but doesn't stop you from enjoying your trip! There are smart ways to do this (I liked your ideas threading locks through some of the drawers) and we definitely didn't do it the smart way. We went a really easy route with supplies we had before we figured out we were "overlanding" and it caught up to us. We're personally thankful it did now and not with all of our gear out on a trip. There are a lot more resources now that we know what to look for. Lots at big budget prices, but also lots of DIY solutions like the videos I linked. If you have any details about your rig, what you're planning, and any of your thoughts on security, I'd love to see your progress!

Reactions: Boort

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Really liked the first link! That guy is a creative and detailed craftsman. I've got all those tools and have used all the skills in his video, all at different times and tasks. So what I obviously lack is his vision. I'm so impressed with what he pulled off with common hand tools and a couple of saws in his garage.

Can't wait to check the other links.

I think I'm going to swap vehicles and go to Mexico in my wife's 99 Explorer vs the Ranger P/U. Solves several packing and security issues with a small change. Both units run the SOHC 4.0 V6. I've worked on both engines over the past 2 years to assure reliability when travelling. Now I'll just need to rebuild the front end on the Explorer before we head out, lot-of-labor but not a very mentally taxing job - but it is cold in the carport this time of year. All the bushings and ball joints are shot so it squeaks and moans at every turn or speed bump.

Writing back makes me think that what's so pitiful is that I've never had a problem nor a concern about theft from my rig or from our sites when out on the road, in the forests, deserts, or mountains.... But have occasionally had problems or felt paranoid in cities, large or small.

Sad reflection on humans I guess. Not sure if it's true in all cultures or locales or just here - hope not.

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

Cdaug

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX
Member #

I think you'll have a lot of luck with the explorer. One of the main strengths will be having everything enclosed in a single space. I've seen lots of plans for false bottom platforms and drawers for those platforms (fold down or take out 2nd/3rd row seats). The 4runner platform is really popular and about the same size, that may be a good place to start. I really like Adventure Index for the 4runner and this video for a Land Cruiser