Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
More updates on the '01. Since purchase I've had a HECK of a high frequency vibration and loud noise at highway speed. It would mainly surface at a specific speed versus consistently, initially I chalked it up to tire noise. After more investigation and noticing the noise completely disappeared when turning at highway speeds, I figured front hubs would be a good place to start!

After the suspension work, now came some more front end refresh. Here's the process of tearing down left and right front. New hubs, rotors, pads and CV axles were installed.
1695350032927.png1695350066454.png

Video of the old LF hub, horrible shape! New video by K S

LF torn completely down. CV axle out. These had a couple spots of torn boots and I figured as worn out as other suspension/driveline components were, how good of shape could these be in. RockAuto had these cheap enough I was surprised and figured some new ones would make for some good prevention and peace of mind. I learned the hard way on these axle seals the correct tools are WELL worth their investment, even at $15 the seal puller made quick work of a job I was trying to do with needle-nose and a screwdriver. The press kit was a Harbor Freight special for about $40, and after trying to install the new seal made that job super quick.
1695350118782.png1695350140140.png1695350203756.png1695350294435.png

LF hub completed with some upgraded brakes, first test drive to see if this resolved my noise. I can't explain how improved the ride is, it was a 'wow, I didn't realize this thing could ride this nice' moment.

1695350420700.png1695350402625.png

Some shots of the RF process, same items were replaced. Wouldn't ya know, this side was done in a couple hours! The LF was my learning process and by the time I was interrupted waiting on parts/tools, took a few weeks.

1695350479681.png1695350489343.png1695350503750.png
1695350534694.png

Next issue cropped up on a drive home. My center diff light started flashing and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. It hadn't been, then started during the drive. I finally realized anytime I hit the brakes, it came on. It started flashing which I finally figured out was when my turn signals were on. I stopped at a post office, tried to get back into gear and my park safety solenoid wouldn't release for me to shift, I had to manually move it. Pushed it back with my finger and was able to get home. With more investigation, I realized my brake lights weren't working at home - so that was neat, to realize I drove about 15 minutes with no brake lights. Ultimately I found the brake fuse to be popped, still not entirely sure why... but so far a new fuse as been alright. I'll be going over the trailer harness and other areas of concern that could be causing shorts. It was a pain to track down though. Video I sent to some buddies for some ideas when the issue initially came up: New video by K S

1695350681988.png

Now for the fun wild stuff... I had purchased an old '01 Blazer from my dad as a DD, while spending time going through the '01 Rover. It ended up having more issues than I wanted to deal with but another '02 Rover came up for a reasonable price. I figured if I'm going to drive 20+ year old vehicles, I may as well drive two of the same that I know how to work on and don't need to research every issue. So, the Rover addiction multiplied. This is an '02 Rover SE (they're dang near twins), which was a single owner California until 2019. It's incredibly clean and will take over as something to keep in good shape, take to shows, etc. So for the Rover fans out there, this one will be maintained as a good example of what these were in their prime. I still very much enjoy the ride quality and comfort 21 years later.

1695350887627.png

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
More updates on the '01. Since purchase I've had a HECK of a high frequency vibration and loud noise at highway speed. It would mainly surface at a specific speed versus consistently, initially I chalked it up to tire noise. After more investigation and noticing the noise completely disappeared when turning at highway speeds, I figured front hubs would be a good place to start!

After the suspension work, now came some more front end refresh. Here's the process of tearing down left and right front. New hubs, rotors, pads and CV axles were installed.
View attachment 266639View attachment 266640

Video of the old LF hub, horrible shape! New video by K S

LF torn completely down. CV axle out. These had a couple spots of torn boots and I figured as worn out as other suspension/driveline components were, how good of shape could these be in. RockAuto had these cheap enough I was surprised and figured some new ones would make for some good prevention and peace of mind. I learned the hard way on these axle seals the correct tools are WELL worth their investment, even at $15 the seal puller made quick work of a job I was trying to do with needle-nose and a screwdriver. The press kit was a Harbor Freight special for about $40, and after trying to install the new seal made that job super quick.
View attachment 266641View attachment 266642View attachment 266643View attachment 266644

LF hub completed with some upgraded brakes, first test drive to see if this resolved my noise. I can't explain how improved the ride is, it was a 'wow, I didn't realize this thing could ride this nice' moment.

View attachment 266646View attachment 266645

Some shots of the RF process, same items were replaced. Wouldn't ya know, this side was done in a couple hours! The LF was my learning process and by the time I was interrupted waiting on parts/tools, took a few weeks.

View attachment 266647View attachment 266648View attachment 266649
View attachment 266650

Next issue cropped up on a drive home. My center diff light started flashing and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. It hadn't been, then started during the drive. I finally realized anytime I hit the brakes, it came on. It started flashing which I finally figured out was when my turn signals were on. I stopped at a post office, tried to get back into gear and my park safety solenoid wouldn't release for me to shift, I had to manually move it. Pushed it back with my finger and was able to get home. With more investigation, I realized my brake lights weren't working at home - so that was neat, to realize I drove about 15 minutes with no brake lights. Ultimately I found the brake fuse to be popped, still not entirely sure why... but so far a new fuse as been alright. I'll be going over the trailer harness and other areas of concern that could be causing shorts. It was a pain to track down though. Video I sent to some buddies for some ideas when the issue initially came up: New video by K S

View attachment 266651

Now for the fun wild stuff... I had purchased an old '01 Blazer from my dad as a DD, while spending time going through the '01 Rover. It ended up having more issues than I wanted to deal with but another '02 Rover came up for a reasonable price. I figured if I'm going to drive 20+ year old vehicles, I may as well drive two of the same that I know how to work on and don't need to research every issue. So, the Rover addiction multiplied. This is an '02 Rover SE (they're dang near twins), which was a single owner California until 2019. It's incredibly clean and will take over as something to keep in good shape, take to shows, etc. So for the Rover fans out there, this one will be maintained as a good example of what these were in their prime. I still very much enjoy the ride quality and comfort 21 years later.

View attachment 266653
Awesome. Look at those two beautiful Discoverys. Good job!

Reactions: KyleGrant

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Another long bit since updates, here's where we stand.

I really enjoy the amateur radio Parks on the Air (POTA) program. I don't always have tons of time or desire to spend time setting up/tearing down my station, decided to make it as easy as possible for quick HF setup. I used an NMO mount, NMO to 3/8-24 adapter and HAMSticks to accomplish that. Here's my 20M stick setup, I was able to get this tuned darn near to 1.1:1 on the center of 20M band.
1703881745777.png 1703881760920.png

Here's an up-close of the HF transceiver I run in the truck, a Kenwood TS-480SAT. I opted for this due to the nice removable head and dual antenna connections. My goal is to have a dedicated/permanent 10M/11M whip off the front bumper and secondary being the hamstick in the roof.
1703882003465.png

Rear sleeping platform and organizer continuing to take some more shape, with lots to go still.
1703881937401.png

And now back to the 'saving' portion of this Rover. In June I finished a lot of work, new water pump, front end refresh, etc. Had great luck all through December. Met up with a buddy I met off the cuff at Autozone, we both saw each other' rigs and said 'Hey man, cool build!' which turned into an hour conversation. Took the mini-man on a little jaunt around Butler County just east of Wichita. He definitely enjoyed some bump-around time in the adventure machine!
1703882202719.png1703882216930.png

Early December it developed a misfire on cyl. 3, an acute (and significant) oil leak, I also noted it was WELL underpowered in comparison to my stock '02. I wasn't able to identify the oil leak location easily but it seemed to be the front of the motor. Without a good look and thinking front cover, galley perhaps - I dug in. Sure enough, it seemed to be the front lifter galley gasket. With a myriad of issues I've decided to push further and just do heads while I'm here.

1703882240819.png1703882248329.png1703882271430.png
1703882313738.png1703882321764.png1703882353018.png

With this identified, we dug in. I exposed the galley and didn't like what I saw on the cam lobes... so, this continues to build into a larger job.

1703882406930.png1703882434692.png

Heads are pretty gummed up. Pretty obvious this thing ran hot for a bit and didn't have the oil changed for too long of an interval. Lots of hard deposits in the valve-train which I wasn't a fan of.

1703882495251.png1703882500156.png1703882504023.png

At this stage with the issues I came across and known poor performance, I'm giving this engine a nice refresh through and through. Not having the '02 in comparison I probably would've just lumbered along but the lack of performance on this Rover in comparison leads me to believe a refresh should liven her up a bit and is overdue. Here's the plan so far as I've dug in...

- Coil relocate kit
- Fresh spark plugs
- Complete head re-work (valve springs, valve seats, hot tank, etc.)
- Inspect cylinder walls, likely pulling the pistons and installing new rings while I'm this far
- Pull oil pan, clean it out, inspect
- New OEM cam
- New timing chain
- New oil pump gears
- Refurbished injectors
- New sensors (cam & crank position, aftermarket oil pressure and coolant temp sensors with dedicated monitors inside, aftermarket fuel rail pressure)

All told this baby has sat for a couple weeks at this point as I slowly dig through the job, await parts, order random tools, etc. Hope to have her back on the road nicely refreshed in January. For now the '02 has pulled DD duty just fine!