rusted's Overland Trailer Build

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Thanks for the compliments JusticeZ33, I agree, there is a certain satisfaction in building one from scratch over buying one.

O.Dfj, the 4runner has a Edelbrock AVS Thunder series 600cfm 4 barrel carb on it right now. I'd like to go with fuel injection someday. I've been doing a little research on Mega SQUIRT systems, still have alot to learn, lol.
If i was going to inject it i would go with a 5.0 mustang set up ive messed with mustangs my whole life and companys make wiring kits for it. Junk yards are full of mustangs and the v8 explorers have awesome intake manifolds and heads for cheap

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

If i was going to inject it i would go with a 5.0 mustang set up ive messed with mustangs my whole life and companys make wiring kits for it. Junk yards are full of mustangs and the v8 explorers have awesome intake manifolds and heads for cheap
GT-40's are good stuff for sure.

Reactions: rustED

rustED

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have thought about possibly going that route someday, A guy on YotaTech put a 5.0 H.O motor in his 85' 4 runner with good results, he's running the T-5 tranny too although Advanced Adapters no longer makes the bellhousing adapter for this swap anymore.

I'm still intrigued with the Mega Squirt setup, I guess anything that's DIY catches my attention, although fuel injection is low on the "priority list" at the moment.

Reactions: O.Dfj

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Great build man! Can't wait to have the space to build my own. For the time being my M416 will do the trick, but building to my specs would be optimal. Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Reactions: rustED

rustED

Rank 0

Traveler I

^^^Thanks for the compliments Midwest Overlander!

I Started skinning the roof today, I'm not to happy with it, I started in the middle and worked my way out to the sides. I was just doing short 1/4" long tack welds spaced out every 4" or so. But it still warped pretty bad. I don't have any pics. It's not that noticeable with the cargo rack mounted, unless you squat down to eye level and look at it. I might see if I can borrow a torch and heat it up and try straightening it some. I think my brother is going to use bedliner on it anyway, so some texture might help camouflage it.

I didn't want to risk warping the fender skins, so I tried a different approach. I drilled holes spaced out every 2-1/4" then tack welded the sheetmetal to the fender frame filling the hole. I was going to grind down the welds, but I kind of like the look, gives it a riveted look. I might go back and do the outside parameter of the lid so it matches.

I also got the tailgate working again, I had robbed the cables off it for some other project, lol. Still need to modify the driverside tailgate stop (thing-ama-jig) they were originally off a first gen yota.

rustED

Rank 0

Traveler I

I got some hinges made today

I went ahead and did spot welds around the parameter of the lid to match the fenders.

I also started in on my rear bumper and receiver, no pics of that, I'll post some once I get a little more progress on it.

rustED

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anything new on this build?
It's been awhile since I posted last, I wish I had some big update to report, but I haven't worked on the trailer much. It looks about the same, I did get the rear bumper tack welded into place, I have the receiver mounted into the bumper and the oval holes cut out for my LED trailer lights, but that's about it. I need to do a bunch of painting, but the cold weather and lack of a heated shop is preventing that right now.
Thanks Al for the interest in my build, hope to get back on track hopefully soon!