Running AC Too Long?

• HTML tutorial

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

Hi all!.. question. I've been overlanding parts of moab and canyonlands Utah for the past few days. We sleep in the Jeep with the windows cracked (I forgot to buy a bug net for the windows). Some nights have been pretty warm so I've been running my AC at night for hours at a time. Should I worry about over-use of AC while not driving?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I can't imagine bugs being an issue in desert areas once it is all the way dark out. Dusk and dawn being the issue normally.

I'd hit up a hardware store, buy some window screen and some magnets and rig up some screens.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have done this before, with no problems. I would consider the impact on your engine maintenance schedule. In the boating community, we track engine hours, between oil changes. I would increase the frequency of your oil changes. emergency service vehicles, that idle many hours a day, take the same precautions.

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

I have done this before, with no problems. I would consider the impact on your engine maintenance schedule. In the boating community, we track engine hours, between oil changes. I would increase the frequency of your oil changes. emergency service vehicles, that idle many hours a day, take the same precautions.
That's actually a really good point. I never looked at it that way! Right now I change my oil with synthetic every 5000. I'm thinking I should stick closer to 3000 when doing trips like this. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Running the engine to use the AC at night will not drain the battery...

As long as your AC and cooling system are in good working order, you should have no issues. Make sure you consider the second and third order effects though, like exhaust (carbon monoxide) coming into the cab, and the potential for hot exhaust systems to come into contact with dry desert grasses and start fires.

SDW53

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Woodland, CA
Member #

Running the engine to use the AC at night will not drain the battery...

As long as your AC and cooling system are in good working order, you should have no issues. Make sure you consider the second and third order effects though, like exhaust (carbon monoxide) coming into the cab, and the potential for hot exhaust systems to come into contact with dry desert grasses and start fires.
You are dead on with the carbon monoxide issue. Most of the time it only becomes an issue when the vehicle is stuck either in mud/water or snow and the engine is left running and the exhaust has no where to go and builds up under the body and is forced into the vehicle. I remember reading a news article years ago where a group of guys where in a bronco II and had become stuck in the mud left the engine on for heat overnight and all four of them died. One of those stories that has always stuck in the back of my mind.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Don't have this issue in Norway - it's never that warm or humid........

Most of us have AC fitted in the car as standard kit, but none of us really use it - except maybe for ca.1 week a year during the height of summer.
But compared to your weather conditions, we don't experience the need for running AC.

I don't think I would wish to run it overnight, if at all possible.
Not the most "green" / "environmentally friendly" activity.