Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Sometimes the ground is not exactly level when opening up the roof top tent. This causes my ladder to either be to straight up or angled to much. When angled back more, I don't feel like the end of the tent is supported as much. I know others that have told me the same about theirs. I am considering on making two support rods that go from each end corner to frame of trailer.

My question(s) is:
What have others done to resolve the issue?
Has anyone made supports?

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not an issue with our Tepui. We are on unlevel ground all the time and use local rocks or firewood to level up. Do you have the telescoping type ladder? If not, then getting one would be a much easier solution. If you have a telescoping ladder then just use as is, and angle it accordingly. Making telescoping rods is just creating a solution to a problem that doesn’t deserve over thinking.

Rocket

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward III

Québec, QC, Canada
First Name
Francois
Last Name
Rochette
Member #

Service Branch
CF Reserve Infantry
Sometimes the ground is not exactly level when opening up the roof top tent. This causes my ladder to either be to straight up or angled to much. When angled back more, I don't feel like the end of the tent is supported as much. I know others that have told me the same about theirs. I am considering on making two support rods that go from each end corner to frame of trailer.

My question(s) is:
I always keep some leveling block to put under the ladder when the rig is to high, and I have drilled some hole to help me adjust the ladder shorter if needed. Keep in mind that the ladder bar will not be align when shorten.

Reactions: 09'Lil-Nugget

09'Lil-Nugget

Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Not an issue with our Tepui. We are on unlevel ground all the time and use local rocks or firewood to level up. Do you have the telescoping type ladder? If not, then getting one would be a much easier solution. If you have a telescoping ladder then just use as is, and angle it accordingly. Making telescoping rods is just creating a solution to a problem that doesn’t deserve over thinking.
I do have a telescoping ladder and I have used rocks and wood to level. I have a CVT tent and it came with an extension ladder. I switched it out to a telescoping ladder and made it removable.

09'Lil-Nugget

Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

My question(s) is:
I always keep some leveling block to put under the ladder when the rig is to high, and I have drilled some hole to help me adjust the ladder shorter if needed. Keep in mind that the ladder bar will not be align when shorten.
Would you post a picture of the leveling block? I am curious on that.

Rocket

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward III

Québec, QC, Canada
First Name
Francois
Last Name
Rochette
Member #

Service Branch
CF Reserve Infantry
I use them to level the ring also. There is a groove in the center, the ladder fit perfectly on it. You can found the equivalent on Amazon under 40$

Attachments

09'Lil-Nugget

Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I use them to level the ring also. There is a groove in the center, the ladder fit perfectly on it. You can found the equivalent on Amazon under 40$
Thank you and I will definitely look into those. A friend of mine has a ladder that locks in between the rungs and not just at each rung. I have not been able to find that online.

Reactions: Rocket

09'Lil-Nugget

Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I am considering on making two support rods that go from each end corner to frame of trailer.
Your tent's on a trailer?
If so, I have a lift off each corner. They not only level but add stability when I'm inside.
Yes mine is on a trailer and it is at a fixed position. When I get the opportunity, I plan on adding an electric lift system, but until then I have to make it work.

09'Lil-Nugget

Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I am considering on making two support rods that go from each end corner to frame of trailer.
Your tent's on a trailer?
If so, I have a lift off each corner. They not only level but add stability when I'm inside.
Here is what I have now. I was in the sand and able to got deeper with ladder. The red lines are an idea I have. They would be 1x1 tubing pinned in to corners of rtt flooring to frame of trailer and pinned.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When I had my RTT on my trailer, I considered the same thing. Even though I had no issues, I didn't like the ladder holding the platform. If I still had it, I would have added in a couple of support poles.
Because my ladder would move on me once in a while, I would tie and stake it to the ground.

09'Lil-Nugget

Rank II

Contributor III

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Baker
Member #

When I had my RTT on my trailer, I considered the same thing. Even though I had no issues, I didn't like the ladder holding the platform. If I still had it, I would have added in a couple of support poles.
Because my ladder would move on me once in a while, I would tie and stake it to the ground.
I have had big wind gust try to fold me up in the tent. It was actually pretty dang funny afterwards. This got the ladder all out of whack at the moment and I climbed out the window of the tent and down the trailer.
Also, I am 250 and I sit on the edge to put shoes on. When ladder is not angled right, that is a lot of weight to hang off the hinges.