Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bwlch-y-ddar, Oswestry, Wales, UK
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Homer
Member #

Hi Haken. I have an OZtent RV1 and am a confirmed ground hog. I have used RTT in Africa and Europe over the past 15 years and can see the story from both sides. If I lived in a warmer country than UK I guess I would go back to a RTT but for Europe in bad weather I want to be grounded and probably behind the vehicle. I know a lot of people feel "safer" in a RTT when wild camping but I am not sure that is actually the case. Many suburban RTTs stay on the roof the whole year as no where to store or too much of an issue to keep taking on and off. 45 weeks of having 70KG on the roof for no reason is a few extra litres of fuel burned. The pro's and con's I think are going to be more about what do you want to do with your trip / lifestyle and then choose the right kit. I am not sure that RTT and Ground tent is any better or worse - just different tools for different jobs.IMG-20191020-WA0013[2305843009215972797].jpeg

Nick_Gomez81

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Land O' Lakes, FL, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

So I currently use both types of tent. I have around seven different styles of ground tents and one RTT. I choose what I use based on location and expected conditions. If going somewhere with expected high winds, ground tent for me. A night in a RTT and high winds and I feel like I am going to blow away. I have never felt like that in a ground tent. Muddy or unleveled terrain and its the RTT I go with as I hate cleaning muddy tents. So many different conditions to really choose on be all for me.

Reactions: Hakan

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

There are a ton of threads on just this topic you may find helpful:

Soft shell, hard shell or ground tent?

Rooftop Tent Camping - has several opinions on RTT, ground tents, why, etc:

Seven pages of Roof Top Tent or Ground Tent:

Eight pages of Rooftop Tent, Yay or Nay. OP asks who switched from RTT to ground tent, or vice versa, why, and if RTT are just gimmicks:

Seven pages of "What is your preferred shelter? Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs etc...

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

Reactions: Hakan

HaoleJeep

Rank I

Enthusiast I

PA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
W
I have both types and like them both but I typically prefer the RTT over the ground tent. I agree with the reasons listed above but I typically go with the RTT for a different reason. I have children who love camping and they love the RTT because it is kind of like a mobile treehouse. Also, it is pretty comfortable as well. I guess it depends on what you want it for and how much you are willing to spend.

Reactions: Road