Rank II

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Choate
Member #

I want to set up a trailer with a RTT for the coming summer. My wife does not understand why i want a RTT help me sale the idea.

Auspri.6

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fairborn, OH, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Pridgen
Member #

About 10 to 15minutes once you get familiar with it and extra time with an annex. I have the Walkabout 72 23zero. I would have went with a hard top but my family is too big for those. Hard tops are way faster.

Reactions: emsis4me

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Depends on what type of RTT you use. I have a hard shell and it takes about a minute to deploy it. You also don't have to hassle with a dirty cover and/or a dirty zipper that doesn't play ball when storing away the tent.
But on the other side, most hard shells are more expensive than soft shells.

For both types of tents I assume that annex rooms are the same and therefore a PITA to set up compared with the actual tent. That was the one thing I didn't like on our recent Colorado trip, but we needed a place for the dog to sleep.

From a general perspective I like being away from the ground, not having to crawl into a ground tent (I still have my tunnel tent, though), the ease of deployment, and the fact that it is always with me.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'd have to agree with all the points in that video. I have both a RTT and Gazelle ground tent and the RTT is my favorite by a long shot. I have the Gazelle because there are campsites that have designated tent pads where I can't take my truck so those are the times I use the Gazelle. Despite the Gazelle being a popup tent it still requires a lot more work to setup and take down. Unlike the RTT which I just have to open or close and it has my bedding inside it already I have to get out my cot, sleeping bag and pad for the cot and set it up once the Gazelle is up. Same goes when it's time to go, I have to roll up the sleeping bag, we all know how fun that is, fold up the cot, and fold the pad I use on the cot. Then I have to collapse the Gazelle and fit it back into its bag.

Reactions: emsis4me

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Ask my wife what things made her start enjoying camping the most and she’ll tell you two things- 1. I switched from using a percolator to using a French press to make coffee at camp. 2. We bought a trailer with a roof top tent.

The combination of the foam mattress on top of a rigid “bottom” of the RTT is more comfortable than any cot, sleeping pad, or inflatable mattress we have owned.

We have a soft shell RTT and we attach the annex every time we camp. Admittedly, attaching the annex is a bit of a pain, but still it only takes about 2 minutes if we don’t have to fight the zipper too much. The annex is a great sleeping area for our dog. Also, we frequently use the annex as a sitting area at night if we want to escape the bugs or if it’s too windy.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
1. Comfort 2. Mounted on a trailer has all your camping gear ready to go at a moments notice. 3. pitch just about anywhere. 4. And there's always that second kind of cool factor.
IMG_1047.jpg