PanDa_

Rank 0

Contributor I

Northern California
First Name
Dyleven
Last Name
M
So I've been looking around at fuel/water storage options for longer trips, and have seen quite a bit of RotoPax's that have been permanently deformed, blown open, cracked, ect, and was wondering if it would be worth it to get the RotoPax vs Traditional jerry cans? I like the RotoPax for ease of mounting (I have an idea for a DIY lockable mount), versatility, and being able to fit into places that jerry cans cant (Such as the sides of bed racks). Thinking about (1-2) 4 Gal FuelPax, (2) 2-3 Gal FuelPax, and (2) 2 Gal Water Pax, or If jerry cans, (3) 5 Gal Fuel and (2) 5 Gal water. Weather will be all over, ranging from 115 -20*F (Traveling the U.S), and I might be able to mount them out of direct sun. The RotoPax and good jerry cans seem about equal in price.

Thx

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have the tailgate FuelPax holder on my JK with a 4.5 gallon FuelPax. I noticed sagging/bulging on the bottom of the FuelPax shortly after its first fill; it has not gotten worse. First fill was for a trip to the NV desert so heat could have figured in. While the tailgate rack has not failed it is really flexy and allows a lot of side to side movement/flex. A buddy uses a large Roto/FuelPax in his UTV and I have not noticed the same issue; however his is mounted "horizontally" which would provide less concentrated pressure down low than mine which is mounted "vertically". The Pax tanks come with the unsafe "safety" pour spouts but I believe that bypass kits are available to allow you to get your fuel into the tank and not on the ground. When I am next feeling the need for more fuel I am going to look at metal Jerry cans and will have to figure out a mounting option.

Reactions: RainGoat

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Some extra fuel is high on my list of things to add and I keep going back and forth on the FuelPax vs Jerry Can debate. Price wise, with mounts and all it seems to come out about even. Right now the 4 gallon RotoPaX is on sale for $80 on Amazon but I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Ubiety

Tacos

Rank I

Contributor III

Pretty Good, UT
First Name
Tacos
Last Name
Forall
I personally like the Sceptre tanks. They are Jerry can style, but all heavy-duty plastic. The fuel cans are hard to get in the US but several folks will sell them from Canada. They are pretty much indestructible.

There is a tactical shop in Vancouver, BC that sells them but I cannot remember the name.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I personally like the Sceptre tanks. They are Jerry can style, but all heavy-duty plastic. The fuel cans are hard to get in the US but several folks will sell them from Canada. They are pretty much indestructible.

There is a tactical shop in Vancouver, BC that sells them but I cannot remember the name.
Do you know if they are the same size? I’m asking because I wonder if they will fit in the normal Jerry Can mounts.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
They are same size. They fit my dual CBI jerry can mount perfectly.
Thanks for the info. I have seen Jerry can holders for the Wrangler that mount in front of the driver/pax doors and am nervous about slinging a metal jerry can in/out of that position. A plastic can sounds much more friendly to the Jeep’s body/paint.

There are sceptre brand plastic jerry cans at amazon and Walmart. Gonna check them out. Thanks!

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I use the Waivan Jerry Cans and for the price point I think they are the better options. I also liked the fact that they are made out of steel. The spout is a bit of a pain though.

Reactions: deFine_overland

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Thanks for the info. I have seen Jerry can holders for the Wrangler that mount in front of the driver/pax doors and am nervous about slinging a metal jerry can in/out of that position. A plastic can sounds much more friendly to the Jeep’s body/paint.

There are sceptre brand plastic jerry cans at amazon and Walmart. Gonna check them out. Thanks!
I have those can holders on my Jeep. I have both Scepter and Wavian cans. I tend to use the Wavian more now that I have the better spout. I have no problems with either can. They need to face the correct direction, or your mirror will hit them.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I use the Waivan Jerry Cans and for the price point I think they are the better options. I also liked the fact that they are made out of steel. The spout is a bit of a pain though.
You can order spouts that don’t have the stupid carb compliant thing. I forget where I got mine, but it was about $15.

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
I use the Scepter Military Fuel Can. They're the best fuel cans on the market and are virtually indestructible. The only possible downside is you need to buy a spout separately and the overall price of the can is between $60 and $80 CAD depending if you find them on sale. I've also heard they may not be available in the US but can't confirm that.

1583098295440.png

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
I use the Scepter Military Fuel Can. They're the best fuel cans on the market and are virtually indestructible. The only possible downside is you need to buy a spout separately and the overall price of the can is between $60 and $80 CAD depending if you find them on sale. I've also heard they may not be available in the US but can't confirm that.

View attachment 142471
As i understand it - Commiefornia "Rules" ended availability the Scepter can in this country. If they can still be had through Canada that would be great - I still use the steel NATO cans with no issues.

Reactions: Outbound

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

View attachment 142471
I second this. I remember using these things and it was pretty indestructible. The only thing you have to be concerned about is it will sometime leak from where cap holder is in the center of the lid. As long as you have it away from stuff though shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: Outbound

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
As i understand it - Commiefornia "Rules" ended availability the Scepter can in this country. If they can still be had through Canada that would be great - I still use the steel NATO cans with no issues.
If you find yourself in Canada, DS Tactical in Vancouver, BC carries them. Princess Auto, our version of Harbor Freight, does as well.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

The Scepter cans found in the big box stores here in the US are not the same quality as the military fuel can (MFC) produced by the same company. As others have noted, you'll need both a spout and a special wrench for these. I've had two for several years which are transported in the bed of my truck and they've held up well in multiple cross country trips to the southwest.

Al

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The Scepter cans found in the big box stores here in the US are not the same quality as the military fuel can (MFC) produced by the same company. As others have noted, you'll need both a spout and a special wrench for these. I've had two for several years which are transported in the bed of my truck and they've held up well in multiple cross country trips to the southwest.

Al
Great to know, thanks! Maybe I'll have to road trip up to BC and import some ;)

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
I have a Sceptre plastic can and an old school Jerry can. The Sceptre is slightly bigger and does not fit in my gas can rack.