Rookie trying to get in the game

• HTML tutorial

Contributor II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Machel
Last Name
Campbelljr
I drive a Durango daily but am looking for a cheap and reliable truck to start out with around $6,000. I’ve been thinking about a ranger or Silverado but am open to all ideas.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I drive a Durango daily but am looking for a cheap and reliable truck to start out with around $6,000.
not trying to change your mind if you are set on getting a 2nd vehicle, but if you are new to this and just havent thought of your durango as a travel vehicle, then there are some really good posts on here to check out. @TahoePPV has a thread on here about a 2wd tahoe he's building out. i saw him operate out at black gap (west texas) in his last 2wd tahoe and he took it places i was reluctant to follow in my lifted tundra...so while a vehicle type is of importance, the drivers experience and comfort is the biggest factor. $6K invested into your durango would get you one heck of a rig and as you gain experience, you will see that it will go places you didnt think it could.

if you are set on a 2nd rig, then you prob will have to go with something fairly old to stay in the $6K range. my step-daughter recently traded her 7 year old jeep sahara and got close to $20K for it. not sure what you'll find for $6K or how much you will have to put into it. if you did keep the durango and put the money into it, you could have a sweet rig that you already know and are familiar with

1660828887751.png

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
not trying to change your mind if you are set on getting a 2nd vehicle, but if you are new to this and just havent thought of your durango as a travel vehicle, then there are some really good posts on here to check out. @TahoePPV has a thread on here about a 2wd tahoe he's building out. i saw him operate out at black gap (west texas) in his last 2wd tahoe and he took it places i was reluctant to follow in my lifted tundra...so while a vehicle type is of importance, the drivers experience and comfort is the biggest factor. $6K invested into your durango would get you one heck of a rig and as you gain experience, you will see that it will go places you didnt think it could.

if you are set on a 2nd rig, then you prob will have to go with something fairly old to stay in the $6K range. my step-daughter recently traded her 7 year old jeep sahara and got close to $20K for it. not sure what you'll find for $6K or how much you will have to put into it. if you did keep the durango and put the money into it, you could have a sweet rig that you already know and are familiar with

View attachment 238423
Aw garsh, I was just having fun.

Word on the trade in! Finding a cheap, reliable vehicle is going to be a challenge

Dean_fb663a

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Dean
Last Name
Kane

View attachment 238423
Thanks for the info. :)

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not to burst your bubble but you’re not going to get reliable for 6K, unless you are ready to dump another 4-6K into it. Even as reliable as Toyotas are, and they are, provided you baseline it and realize that major repairs can be avoided by doing major preventative maintenance, will still cost upwards of 10k total. Your Durango? A friend of mine just had to trade in his Dakota, ( same platform) because he never changed out his coolant, just added more as was necessary. The freeze plugs at the rear of the block failed at less than 150,000 miles. A mechanic estimated 3-4K to pull the engine to replace all the freeze plugs. You know how well your Durango has been taken care of. Keep it , make it dependable & build it out.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Hawkman

Rank II

Contributor III

Cleveland, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hawkins
Member #

I know there is alot of things to consider in a vehicle for overlanding. I'm wanting to start my first overland build. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1983 fj 60 land cruiser 4 speed with a 2f engine or a 2000 4 runner automatic with a 3.4. I'm mechanically inclined and owned mostly old toyota pickups. My main questions are, which one might be more versatile or maybe more dependable. The prices for each is about the same, so not a concern. Thinking roof top tent, awning, the back for cargo and cooking equipment. And looking to travel anywhere in the US. Any info is appreciated, thank you

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My personal preference would be the 60 series. Yup, it has an underpowered engine, but who’s in a hurry. It also has a solid front axle. It will be a lot easier to wrench on and a lot easier to modify to your liking. It’s also way up there on the cool factor. And, the 60 will increase in value as time goes on. Did I mention it has a solid front axle?

Reactions: Hawkman