Cburck84

Rank 0

Contributor I

Satsuma, FL, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Burck
Beginner here looking to throw a rooftop tent that weighs 170lbs on top my 2019 crostrekk, do i need special crossbars or platform to support that weight, if so can I get some recommendations bc the subaru aero bars specifically say they DO NOT SUPPORT ROOFTOP TENTS, despite seeing them installed myself. They weren't 170lbs tents either tho. Please help.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Your user manual will (should) tell you what your Roof Load Limit is. This should be presented using two numbers -- a static load rating and your dynamic load rating.

Your dynamic load rating should be at a minimum strong enough to carry your RTT and whatever else you might put in there -- 10 lbs of bedding for instance -- and if I were in your shoes I'd be looking for room to spare (i.e. if I had 180 lbs of tent, I'd want 210 lbs of capacity so there was some buffer).

Your static rating needs to be strong enough for the weight of your tent, any stuff you bring up there, and the people -- so several hundred pounds more than the dynamic load.

And finally, some cars will say "not suitable for tents" because they don't have a flat roof. That might be the reason Subaru say "No Roof Tents" -- looking at Google Images, it looks like the roof isn't flat, so your tent might always be tilted to the rear of the vehicle (but I may be looking at the photos wrong).

Also what tent do you have? 170 lbs is a lot for an RTT; even the big ones usually max out at 150 lbs from what I've seen (though I've not looked at this for a few years). If you are seeing a tent that says it's shipped weight is 170s lbs, that might include it's packaging, and so the actual tent may be a bit lighter.

Cburck84

Rank 0

Contributor I

Satsuma, FL, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Burck
Sorry I must have worded my question wrong. I already know the bars on the car can hold the weight. The issue is that cars bars run longways down the car not across and I'm not familiar with the attachment of the rooftop tent. Do they mount directly to my roof bars or do I need to install a platform or special crossbars that support weight better than the aftermarket subaru aero crossbars?

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Sorry I must have worded my question wrong. I already know the bars on the car can hold the weight. The issue is that cars bars run longways down the car not across and I'm not familiar with the attachment of the rooftop tent. Do they mount directly to my roof bars or do I need to install a platform or special crossbars that support weight better than the aftermarket subaru aero crossbars?
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! Now I know what you mean.

Most tents like the one you posted mount the same way -- underneath the tent, there are typically two lengths of aluminum that have special channels in them, and these channels hold a bolt and a plate. To mount the tent, the aluminum channels on the base of the tent need to be perpendicular to the roof bars, because you need one bolt and plate on either side of your roof bar to clamp the tent down, as in this photo below:

ikamper-mounting-bracket-v1-crossbar-install-skycamp_394x.jpg

The black is the "roof bar", and the silver is all part of the tent -- there is the captive channel and then the bolts slide into that channel through a plate, and that pinches the tent to the roof bar. Below is another view that shows how the bolts are on sliding plates inside the aluminum channel.

IMG_3475_1100x.jpg
SOME (not all) tents allow you to change the direction of those aluminum pieces, so no matter how you want your tent to open, you can do it -- simply figure out how the tent opens, and then mount the aluminum channels perpendicular (i.e. at a 90 degree angle) to your cross bars, so you can sandwich your cross bars to your tent with a bolt on either side and a plate across the bottom as in figure 1 above. If you are unable to change how the aluminum pieces mount to the tent, then you only have two options:

1) Mount the tent anyway, and just accept that it might not open in the direction you want (i.e. it might open off the side instead of off the back)
2) Install cross bars on your existing roof bars to give you a perpendicular mounting surface, however this has the disadvantage of adding height which you may not want.

I hope that is more helpful but I recognize it can be hard to figure out from text and a couple of photos - feel free to post up more questions and I can share more.

Reactions: Cburck84