Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I am looking for some roof top storage for my 2018 Ford Explorer. I don’t do any overnight camping, so not looking at a ton of gear. Mainly, I’m looking for storage for things I need for work.

I regularly need a shovel, sometimes wish I had recovery boards of some kind. Right now I have enough under seat storage for straps and a come-along. I am torn between looking for a good used roof box, like a Thule Adventurer 650 I think would fit the bill. Or, the other budget option is a DIY roof rack from extruded aluminum.

I like the ability to lock and keep the elements off the gear with the roof box. However, I like the low profile, more fuel efficient idea of a roof rack. Plus, the things I’m looking to store are likely to be dirty most of the time. Plus, I think the roof rack would leave a lot more future storage options as I figure out what else I would like to carry with me regularly.
Thoughts and opinions on the matter would really be appreciated.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I’m planning to do both. I have 58” Yakima cross bars. One one side a Thule Alpine locking cargo box and other side planning to get the Yakima Skinnywarrior rack.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Depending on just how much you want to put up there you could use a large waterproof rifle case from Harbor freight and the shovel can be fastened to the roof rack.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

a roof box from Thule that sits ona couple of bars is much more aerodinamic than a roof rack. And you can take it down fast if you don't use it. There are even roof bars that you take down in 5 min., you keep only the legs on if you don't need to carry anything.
A roof rack and specially one with stuff on it has the aerodianmic drag of brick...
And it not so easy to take down. Looks cooler .... so I guess thats why they are so popular..

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

A modilar roof rack system (if available for an explorer) would be your best best. I've got a solar panel, RTT, awning, straps, maxtrax on mine. Always finding ways to add more and utilize the space. A cargo basket wouldn't be able to handle this at all.