Roof Rack for Extended Cab Silverado?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14476
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 14476

I’ve been looking all over the place for a roof rack that’ll fit onto my 2010 Silverado extended cab, and I can’t find any besides the Smittybilt which is just…not going to happen.

Does anybody know of any company that makes a quality rack for this truck? Any help would be appreciated, kind of stuck right now on this part of the build plan.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Ever consider mod-ing a contractor rack? Bet you can find one on craigslist or marketplace that is sized right and strong enough to do what you want and a good price. That’s exactly what I did. I saved a grip of money even sourcing materials to make it into what I wanted, I.e. adding decking and making it fit over a truck topper as well. I’m still into it for less than 1/4 the cost of a new rack alone... food for thought.

D

Deleted member 14476

Ever consider mod-ing a contractor rack?
I actually didn’t think of that, what’s a quality brand that you would recommend? If I could put a RTT ontop of that too, that’d solve my limitations of having a soft topper.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I actually didn’t think of that, what’s a quality brand that you would recommend? If I could put a RTT ontop of that too, that’d solve my limitations of having a soft topper.
I don’t know all the brand names for roof racks. The one I bought for $100, seems to have been “Farm-made”, but I have owned commercially made contractor racks on trucks I’ve owned in the past. Most extend over the cab of the truck and are NOT bolted together, but welded. They are not ladder racks, but when I searched, I looked for “Lumber Racks or Contractor Racks”, as those offerings seemed to be beefier and more suited to my needs.

I would also add that most of them will not be commercially designed to fit over a topper, hard or soft, but as they are metal...they can fairly easily be modified to do that, and quite economically too, if you are resourceful (cheap-like-me). If you weld or know someone who does, you are “In like Flynn”

If you don’t DIY or know ANYONE that can weld, or you just feel the incredible urge to stimulate the economy by paying 5 to 20 times the price of what DIY price could be, use key words like “contractor rack, lumber rack, over shell rack, over topper rack, etc.”.They will put you in the know for commercially available racks. There are fewer offerings that meet the bill for heavy duty racks that will fit over a topper shell but they are out there. I came to the conclusion that in my area, those racks don’t get sold very often in a used category.

Failing a search on Marketplace or Craigslist, go to a local metal recycling/scrap yard. You may find either the steel you need to build what you want or you may even find a complete rack with or without damage that is usable or modifiable that will meet your needs. Either way, most salvage yards will charge less for used than new steel. I paid $ .35/lb because it was “on the ground”, meaning salvage yard prices are much less than buying new lengths of steel by the foot.

here are a couple of pics of what I have done. I am by NO MEANS a pro-welder, but I have dabbled. I borrowed a welder from a friend, drew up some design ideas, chatted with some guys that knew how to weld and off I went. Metal can be way more forgiving than wood to work with... Good Luck on your search.

3B50B7BA-874F-44F3-BAA8-E781B65E997F.jpegB0BE67C7-4599-42B2-B4E3-9B0BBEA009F7.jpeg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I used for towers, or legs to mount the rack. This was before they came out with the backbone mount. Check and see if you have a "Rack Attack" store nearby, they would be able to supply anything you need.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a contractors rack that fits over my shell. I purchased it new and added crossmembers. Cost was about 1000.00 I put surfboards and kayaks on top, works great. You can mod these things all you want.

D

Deleted member 14476

I used for towers, or legs to mount the rack. This was before they came out with the backbone mount. Check and see if you have a "Rack Attack" store nearby, they would be able to supply anything you need.
Nearest one is 3 hours away, but regardless I’ll figure something out. Thanks for the help!

D

Deleted member 14476

Decided I’m just going to build my own! Going to use aluminum extrusion rails and bolt one together. We’ll see how it goes!

Reactions: lhoffm4 and MMc

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Decided I’m just going to build my own! Going to use aluminum extrusion rails and bolt one together. We’ll see how it goes!
look also at unistrut. Tons of various bolt on brackets, fittings and hardware to custom build and fit to your use.

mrpeterclark

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Clark
I’ve been looking all over the place for a roof rack that’ll fit onto my 2010 Silverado extended cab, and I can’t find any besides the Smittybilt which is just…not going to happen.

Does anybody know of any company that makes a quality rack for this truck? Any help would be appreciated, kind of stuck right now on this part of the build plan.
We are making them now. We started out with older Suburban Roof Racks, but we have moved into pickups. Here is a link to the Silverado Roof Rack.
Baseline Overland Suburban Roof Rack iKamper Fall 4.JPG

D

Deleted member 14476

We are making them now. We started out with older Suburban Roof Racks, but we have moved into pickups. Here is a link to the Silverado Roof Rack.
View attachment 248348
I saw I’m Coyoteconner on IG, I threw a comment on your post. You guys are doing the lords work they look sick.

Reactions: mrpeterclark