Launch Member

Traveler I

Manhattan, KS, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Comfort
Member #

I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma I would like to build a roof rack bed rack combo (kinda like a ladder rack) and after alot of googling I haven't seen it done this way often. Is there a reason other than center of gravity concerns that denies people from having a vehicle length roof rack of same height over a pickup?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Aerodynamics with a RTT mounted below the roofline are better, which equates to better fuel mileage. So that could be one reason.

Reactions: Graeman

tundraconvert

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a Tacoma with a shell, currently running the Thule roof rack system with RTT on top. Unfortunately my RTT is 6” above the top of the campershell. I want to lower this center if gravity to about 2.5-3”. I have been doing a ton of research and I am getting close.
Fortunately, I have only noticed about 1mpg loss running a hard shell RTT.

Attachments

Wildcat77

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manhattan, KS, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Comfort
Member #

So other than obvious problems of high center of gravity and fuel economy this isn't like a crazy idea? The reason I'm looking into making it the same height over the entire truck is just ease of build.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Other than the possibility that people will mistake you for a landscaper/gardener instead of an overlander, I see no issues with a full vehicle length roof rack.

Wildcat77

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Manhattan, KS, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Comfort
Member #

Other than the possibility that people will mistake you for a landscaper/gardener instead of an overlander, I see no issues with a full vehicle length roof rack.
Well the truck isn't much of a looker anyways so that's fine I guess. I would like to have the ability to carry a canoe or kayak so even if I don't extend the rack over the cab it would have to be level with the cab.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I would also say, "Triangulation is your friend". I would put some small gussets on some of the 90 degrees connections.
There is a lady that spends much of her time off road and she snapped a factory rack due to the constant shifting weight.
Even if you're not off road that much it would still add to the rigidity of the rack.

Reactions: Marine7

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I

How much in materiel did it cost? Can it fit OVER a camper shell?
It looks like TronYota's rack would also work with a shell. The picture shows the rack about 3" past the railing of where the shell would sit on the truck bed.

TronYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhododendron, OR, USA
Member #

Looks VERY good. The only thing I would want is for it to go all the way over the cab. To me, stopping at the middle of the cab looks weird, but that’s just me! Again... GREAT JOB!
That is purposeful. I didn’t want to have to drill into the roof to support the extra length. As it is now the rack can flex with the bed. If it was attached it can destroy your roof when going over rough terrain.

Marine7

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilmington NC
Member #

That is purposeful. I didn’t want to have to drill into the roof to support the extra length. As it is now the rack can flex with the bed. If it was attached it can destroy your roof when going over rough terrain.
Understood! Again... great job! How many people have seen you at different places, and said “Hey... Nice Rack”?! Lol... sorry, I couldn’t resist!