First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
FREE AMATEUR RADIO EXAM SESSION

Virginia Mountain Amateur Radio Club test sessions are now showing on the Laurel calendar. If anyone in the area is interested in taking the test, just contact Janet and get it set up! Our meetings are the first Monday of each month at 6:30pm, but the test are going to take place around 5:30pm. Good luck!

****3/9/19****
Roanoke Amateur Radio Club is putting on a Technician license class in March. If you're interested, please message me and I'll get you the contact info for the folks running the show.

If you are not in the Roanoke area, check out the Laurel VEC Team Calendar and see where the next session is in your area!

https://www.laurelvec.com/?

Last edited:

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

You don't need an FRN to take the Tech (element 2) but it makes sense to get one so you need not have your SS# on your application for the testing...you can use your FRN.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You don't need an FRN to take the Tech (element 2) but it makes sense to get one so you need not have your SS# on your application for the testing...you can use your FRN.
I believe the reason Wally wants you to have it is their system is very streamlined and in previous sessions, people have gotten their call signs that evening or the next morning rather than waiting several days or weeks as you do with an ARRL session. My Extra upgrade was showing in the FCC system the next morning and at the last session I VE'd, the two people taking their Tech exams had their calls by the end of the meeting.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
New update, no tests but my local club is taking steps to become an administering team for Laurel and will hopefully be getting started with test dates soon! Thanks and 73!

Terry

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It was just announced on the weekly club net that the Virginia Mountain Amateur Radio Club of Covington, Va is now an active Laurel VE Team. We will be administering free tests as required. We meet on the first Monday of every month and will be glad to setup a test session. Just give me some notice so I can get with the VEC and have people on hand for the test.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Our test sessions are now showing on the Laurel Calendar as VMARC. It's the first Monday of each month.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Our VE team had our first test session and our first licensee last night! Within an hour of passing her Tech exam, she had her call and I believe she made her first contact on her way home using her husband's mobile rig. Anyone who would like to get there license, please check the info in the first post or message me, I'll be glad to help get a session set up for you.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The next activity night is coming up on the 17th. If anyone would be interested in a test session or just coming to hang out and check out the club station let me know.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hamfest is Saturday from 8am-1pm at the Vinton Moose Lodge near Roanoke. If you might come out, give me a shout and we'll meet up!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Activity night at the club house on Monday, September 18th. 7pm till whenever we leave. If you'd be interested in a test session, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the lady that manages it.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We've got several test sessions posted on the Laurel site! If you're interested in getting your Amateur Radio license, let me know!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
For anyone interested:

March 9th, the Roanoke Valley Amateur Radio Club is doing a free class for the Technician amateur radio license. If you are interested, please message me and I'll get you in contact with the folks putting on the class.