Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
This mystery has been solved

long story short:
1st gen frontier bed is not a good ground source. There was no issue with the air compressor, and Viair has great customer service.

the long story:

I’ve upgraded(?) the air compressor on my truck from the large harbor freight pump to a Viair 20007 air source kit.

I ended up buying new wire etc and re did the install yesterday and got the same result. Sometimes it turns on and struggles to pressurize and sometimes(usually) it does nothing at all with 12v going to it.

If I touch the leads directly to the battery terminals the compressor it works.

If I route it through a switch and 30 amp relay it sometimes works when it wants.

I have a solid ground and 12v coming in (tested with multimeter)

Regardless of the truck running or not, the pump is inconsistent. It also seems to struggle making over ~30psi.

I’ve contacted Viair who were very friendly and helpful. They are sending me a new pressure switch which I’m hoping resolves the issue.

I don’t have a method of measuring over 10amps, but the rep at Viair told me the pump draws 25 amps. So I figure with my 30 amp relay we should be fine.

I don’t know if anyone has experience with this. I can send pictures if that helps. Currently I am waiting on this switch to come in. But if I remember correctly when I bypassed the switch it didn’t work either.

Last edited:

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

I hope this is posted in the right spot…

I’ve upgraded(?) the air compressor on my truck from the large harbor freight pump to a Viair 20007 air source kit.

I ended up buying new wire etc and re did the install yesterday and got the same result. Sometimes it turns on and struggles to pressurize and sometimes(usually) it does nothing at all with 12v going to it.

If I touch the leads directly to the battery terminals the compressor it works.

If I route it through a switch and 30 amp relay it sometimes works when it wants.

I have a solid ground and 12v coming in (tested with multimeter)

Regardless of the truck running or not, the pump is inconsistent. It also seems to struggle making over ~30psi.

I’ve contacted Viair who were very friendly and helpful. They are sending me a new pressure switch which I’m hoping resolves the issue.

I don’t have a method of measuring over 10amps, but the rep at Viair told me the pump draws 25 amps. So I figure with my 30 amp relay we should be fine.

I don’t know if anyone has experience with this. I can send pictures if that helps. Currently I am waiting on this switch to come in. But if I remember correctly when I bypassed the switch it didn’t work either.

Viair calls for a 40 amp relay, with a max draw of 23 amps. I bet the start up on the .25 hp motor draws very close to 30 at start up, maybe more depending on temp.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Viair calls for a 40 amp relay, with a max draw of 23 amps. I bet the start up on the .25 hp motor draws very close to 30 at start up, maybe more depending on temp.
Yes most likely a probable factor. Just like a AC, a fridge, a circular saw, the start voltage is higher than the running voltage needed. Check back with us when you install the new relay.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Yes most likely a probable factor. Just like a AC, a fridge, a circular saw, the start voltage is higher than the running voltage needed. Check back with us when you install the new relay.
Turns out it’s not … wasn’t the relay. Turns out my 2000 Nissan Frontier bed is not a good ground.
While fiddling around while forgetting the pump was switched on I dropped my ground wire onto my bumper.
The pump kicked on full power…
Long story short I tapped into the ground wire going to the back of the tail lights etc. I also decided to finally wire the 3rd brake light on the canopy.

Is there a way to mark this resolved?

Thank you for the responses guys!!

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Is there a way to mark this resolved?

Thank you for the responses guys!!
glad you got it figured out. As for marking resolved, edit your first post and title.

Thank you! Is the title edit something I can do on iPhone or do I need to use a computer?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thank you! Is the title edit something I can do on iPhone or do I need to use a computer?
Yes you can edit the title with an iPhone, either using safari browser or the app.
I couldn’t figure out how to do it on the app, Jhansi to go through safari

Reactions: M Rose