puda

Rank I

Contributor III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Grover
Last Name
Meyer
I am on my second RTT and they have both had telescoping ladders. The telescoping design seems pretty finnicky in a pretty short period of time. Does anyone have any experience with the sliding ladder design and the telescoping design that could offer insight on which they prefer? I'm also curious if anyone has replaced a RTT telescoping ladder with a sliding ladder? Thanks!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Finniky how? I always clean of the dirt and water before retracting. Never had any problems except on uneven ground and have to chock one side.

puda

Rank I

Contributor III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Grover
Last Name
Meyer
Does anyone have any experience with the sliding ladder design and the telescoping design that could offer insight on which they prefer? I'm also curious if anyone has replaced a RTT telescoping ladder with a sliding ladder? Thanks!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I can give insight on the sliding ladder. Before I sold my RTT, I wanted a telescopic. The sliding ladder worked great with a few exceptions.
1. Not enough settings. I drilled extra holes to give a better range.
2. The rungs became loose over time. Not enough to be an issue, I just wasn't happy with it. By design, the one I owned, there was no way to tighten the rungs without breaking the covers over the screws.

I looked into swapping to a telescopic design. It really wasn't going to be that difficult if you can make your own mount. I studied and measured quite a few ladders. I just never got around to swapping them. I did notice there were two different designs of telescoping ladders though. One slid to where you want and twist locked, the other was just a round tube version of mine, with buttons you depressed to change to a fixed height.