Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I just purchased a 97 TJ over the weekend. The steering feels really loose. I’m new to the jeep world too. Below are some pics of some bushings on the front end. Can anyone tell me what needs to be replaced to tighten up my steering? All bushings in pictures are trashed but don’t know which ones they are.

Attachments

hey_poolboy

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maximus
So I just purchased a 97 TJ over the weekend. The steering feels really loose. I’m new to the jeep world too. Below are some pics of some bushings on the front end. Can anyone tell me what needs to be replaced to tighten up my steering? All bushings in pictures are trashed but don’t know which ones they are.
My daughters both have TJs and my wife drives a JKU. Start with lifting the front end up and see if you have any pay in the ball joints by pushing/pulling on the to of each wheel. You shouldn't have any movement.
If the ball joints check out, look at tie rod ends and the drag link.
I'm not certain about TJ but the steering box on JK are prone to becoming pretty sloppy with age. I need to replace mine according to my alignment guy.

Reactions: OVRLANDnoob

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My daughters both have TJs and my wife drives a JKU. Start with lifting the front end up and see if you have any pay in the ball joints by pushing/pulling on the to of each wheel. You shouldn't have any movement.
If the ball joints check out, look at tie rod ends and the drag link.
I'm not certain about TJ but the steering box on JK are prone to becoming pretty sloppy with age. I need to replace mine according to my alignment guy.
Just got back from my local Offroad shop. Got an estimate for a rock jock steering kit, track bar, and new pitman arm. Upgrades will commence in about a week or two. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I have a lot to learn about jeeps!

hey_poolboy

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maximus
Jeeps are simple. Turn the radio up until you don't hear "that noise" any longer.

If by some great fortune nothing is broken at a given moment you're either upgrading something, planning an upgrade, or in the process of breaking something.

Attachments

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Jeeps are simple. Turn the radio up until you don't hear "that noise" any longer.

If by some great fortune nothing is broken at a given moment you're either upgrading something, planning an upgrade, or in the process of breaking something.
I like that! Just turn the radio up! Hahaha!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
That outer tie rod looks really bad and might even have a crack. Lift the jeep off the ground and hold the tire at the 9 and 3 oclock position. Move it side to side. Watch the movement of the bolt as it turns the tire. It will move up and down and look loose if bad.
Zim

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's bad.

Ball joints, shocks, and tie rods always need done. Loose steering, I don't even waste time testing them anymore.

After your steering box, pitman, and track bar, do those.

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It's bad.

Ball joints, shocks, and tie rods always need done. Loose steering, I don't even waste time testing them anymore.

After your steering box, pitman, and track bar, do those.
I’m replacing the shocks, inner and outer tie rods and drag link as well. I’m doing a rock jock full steering kit.

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Old school Jeep guy here and curious about the premature wear on the Pittman arm, they very rarely wear out.
I believe the guy who owned before the guy I bought it from, lifted the jeep and didn’t put a pitman arm for a 4 inch lift on it. They didn’t replace anything to accommodate the lift at all.

Reactions: MOAK

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I believe the guy who owned before the guy I bought it from, lifted the jeep and didn’t put a pitman arm for a 4 inch lift on it. They didn’t replace anything to accommodate the lift at all.
I hope you got a great deal on that TJ! Good luck !
I paid $4k for it. The frame is completely rust free. I think I got a deal.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
if you have steering wheel play / dead spot check the u joint in the steering shaft. That u joint can wear out and get some play in it.

OVRLANDnoob

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Service Branch
Army
if you have steering wheel play / dead spot check the u joint in the steering shaft. That u joint can wear out and get some play in it.
I’m pretty much replacing everything that has to deal with steering. I should be getting my currectlync steering kit, tracbar, new steering gear box, new sway bar endlinks, new shocks, coils, and adjustable control arms early next week. Should drive like a new jeep after all of that work.