DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Since I pretty much do all my exploring and camping local. I just use the paper maps.

We got alot of ground covered here in PA with some very great maps.2021_PLP_locator_August_v1_lettersize_copy_752c2435-d86c-48e1-8e32-f435e594f63e.jpg

So these are what I use. Along with the sportsman atlas for the areas in between20210306_101435~2.jpg
The maps are easy to read and have lots of extra info. They fit real nice in the truck too.20210615_150758_HDR.jpg

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
Everybody keeps mentioning Garmin, but assuming you have a phone, Gaia, even the free version, allows you to upload GPX files and record where you have been. I think you can use it on android auto now as well.
I do have a Flip Phone that I bought in 2009. LOL... The only thing I can do with it besides making phone calls is "T-9 Texting" :dizzy:

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

good to see plenty of comments backing paper and basic instinct. I too am a paper guy. I'll never trust the electronic route finding.
The only GPS related item I might want would be a rescue beacon thing for when I am incapacitated.

MWallace

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Everybody keeps mentioning Garmin, but assuming you have a phone, Gaia, even the free version, allows you to upload GPX files and record where you have been. I think you can use it on android auto now as well.
I do have a Flip Phone that I bought in 2009. LOL... The only thing I can do with it besides making phone calls is "T-9 Texting" :dizzy:
Then paper maps are right for you. I have the dellorme maps for my state and find it a great resource. There are not a lot of people that can navigate with a paper map. That is a great skill to have. GPS has lead me astray too many times.

Contributor II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Odinsson
Service Branch
US Army
Then paper maps are right for you. I have the dellorme maps for my state and find it a great resource. There are not a lot of people that can navigate with a paper map. That is a great skill to have. GPS has lead me astray too many times.
I will always be a map lover as well, no matter what other device I may have in the future. It was so ingrained in me at 17 when I joined the military (way back when), that it has stuck with me ever since.