Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUC
Had the idea of adding a recovery button to the app, and site. 'SOS' if you will, that would ping members in the area. Allow the user to input a few lines of info, possibly pics for the helper to evaluate the situation before heading out. Helper could respond and optional location tracking so the recoveree knows help is on the way. A thread would b started for everyone attending to communicate and track progress.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Had the idea of adding a recovery button to the app, and site. 'SOS' if you will, that would ping members in the area. Allow the user to input a few lines of info, possibly pics for the helper to evaluate the situation before heading out. Helper could respond and optional location tracking so the recoveree knows help is on the way. A thread would b started for everyone attending to communicate and track progress.
We have an SOS button already it’s called a Support Alert,

and it works amazingly well. It works similar to an RP, but starts a new thread in the “Distress Call” Forums

Once the SA is made, you will see a red RP icon on the Map. Once the situation is rectified we cancel the alert and mark the forum post as such.

Attachments

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have an SOS button already it’s called a Support Alert,

and it works amazingly well. It works similar to an RP, but starts a new thread in the “Distress Call” Forums

Once the SA is made, you will see a red RP icon on the Map. Once the situation is rectified we cancel the alert and mark the forum post as such.
Mike, does the creation of the Support Alert or its related thread get pushed to users in the nearby area? or is it only if you see it on the forums?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mike, does the creation of the Support Alert or its related thread get pushed to users in the nearby area? or is it only if you see it on the forums?
Pushed out to members in the area as well as the areas Director who will then decide if a larger demographic is needed to be reached.

This also brings up another good point. If you have your account set up to not receive messages from members and or SOS function turned off in your profile, then you won’t get an alert if one is pushed out. Both of the circled fields need to be checked to send and receive an SA
567C911F-0EA2-4F82-8815-0A027DEE1A83.jpeg

Reactions: Kozysnack

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Thanks Mike, my settings look good, guessing folks near us are just doing a good job of staying out of trouble.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks Mike, my settings look good, guessing folks near us are just doing a good job of staying out of trouble.
I almost had to send one out late winter for a guy, but we were able to get a group rounded up fairly quickly after he called me for help. When I say quickly, @Ubiety was out the door in less than half an hour to rescue the member.