Rank II

Enthusiast I

New Jersey
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ambrogio
Member #

Hey everyone. I'm just looking for some recovery gear recommendations. I'm thinking about the weekendlander ARB one. Also any suggestions on onboard air? I'll probably get ARBs as well

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hey everyone. I'm just looking for some recovery gear recommendations. I'm thinking about the weekendlander ARB one. Also any suggestions on onboard air? I'll probably get ARBs as well
ARB is a great company. I have a set of their recovery boards as well as the dual air comoressor hard wired in with a quick hose disconnect at the rear license plate. With the recovery kit, just make sure that the weight rating on everything in the pack is high enough for anything you may use it on (may not be your vehicle if you need to help someone).

Reactions: A.C.Ambrogio

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I'll say what everyone hates to hear lol. I have found smittybilt products to be fairly decent.
When it comes to recovery gear everything needs to meet standards and be rated properly, which means that for someone starting out smittybilt products can be a great entry level setup. That being said, will they last as long at other brands? Probably not.
When it ones to air it's kind of a crazy shoot. You really need to dive into cfm values and ratings and what pressures they rate them at. ARB compressors are much nicer and easier to mount than pretty much anything else, and rates their cfms at a higher pressure than most, but I have seen a lot of issues with solenoids when running lockers ( not personal experience just have a buddy that seems to blow through them all the time and we can't seem to figure out why). If you don't need a lot of air then there's not a whole lot of sense ( in my mind) in spending the money on an ARB compressor if you're only filling stock size tires.
That's my long winded 2 cents.
Oh and don't ever uy smittybilt traction boards... they suck.... I have a set and though they are rated for a lot of weight they will flex and buckle if you try to use them as a ramp or anything bridging any gaps. They don't have the versatility of other traction boards... oh and their winch anchors don't anchor as well as others lol

Countryboy20241

Rank IV

Member II

Taylorsville, IN, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Woodhouse
Member #

I'll say what everyone hates to hear lol. I have found smittybilt products to be fairly decent.
When it comes to recovery gear everything needs to meet standards and be rated properly, which means that for someone starting out smittybilt products can be a great entry level setup. That being said, will they last as long at other brands? Probably not.
When it ones to air it's kind of a crazy shoot. You really need to dive into cfm values and ratings and what pressures they rate them at. ARB compressors are much nicer and easier to mount than pretty much anything else, and rates their cfms at a higher pressure than most, but I have seen a lot of issues with solenoids when running lockers ( not personal experience just have a buddy that seems to blow through them all the time and we can't seem to figure out why). If you don't need a lot of air then there's not a whole lot of sense ( in my mind) in spending the money on an ARB compressor if you're only filling stock size tires.
That's my long winded 2 cents.
Oh and don't ever uy smittybilt traction boards... they suck.... I have a set and though they are rated for a lot of weight they will flex and buckle if you try to use them as a ramp or anything bridging any gaps. They don't have the versatility of other traction boards... oh and their winch anchors don't anchor as well as others lol
I use a smittybilt winch and love it, have had them for a few other rigs.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland