Rear shelf for Jeep JKU

• HTML tutorial
D

danbrown

Hello,

I built a rear shelf for my wife’s JKU so that she would have an area to lash gear down and provide much needed organization.

It’s made from 12 gauge sheet for the base, in which I used a plasma cutter to make holes to lighten it. The rails, and frame beneath the bottom plate is 3/4” square tubing. It’s all welded together and painted with bed liner spray paint.

The rack is 45” x 16” and the top of the rail sits 3” above the plate. It’s mounted to the Jeep with angle brackets that screw into threaded inserts located in the down tubes of the roll bar.

Attachments

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hello,

I built a rear shelf for my wife’s JKU so that she would have an area to lash gear down and provide much needed organization.

It’s made from 12 gauge sheet for the base, in which I used a plasma cutter to make holes to lighten it. The rails, and frame beneath the bottom plate is 3/4” square tubing. It’s all welded together and painted with bed liner spray paint.

The rack is 45” x 16” and the top of the rail sits 3” above the plate. It’s mounted to the Jeep with angle brackets that screw into threaded inserts located in the down tubes of the roll bar.
Nice work Sir. You use a template to burn the holes or freelance it?
Outstanding.
Zim

Reactions: danbrown
D

danbrown

Hello,

Nice work Sir. You use a template to burn the holes or freelance it?
Outstanding.
Zim
I drew a grid pattern to locate the holes and then used a hole template while cutting.

D

danbrown

I drew a grid pattern to locate the holes and then used a hole template while cutting.
Very cool. I fab alot of stuff and always looking for ideas. I love to do some dimple die stuff to but in your case I'm no sure it would help. Look good, but not necessary.
Thanks
Zim
I bought the hole stencils from 911Motorsports. Plasma Stencil Circle Cutter Kit - 5 pc.

The material I used is probably too thick for dimpling, but it’s a good idea and would allow for the use of thinner (lighter and cheaper) sheet metal.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I bought the hole stencils from 911Motorsports. Plasma Stencil Circle Cutter Kit - 5 pc.

The material I used is probably too thick for dimpling, but it’s a good idea and would allow for the use of thinner (lighter and cheaper) sheet metal.
Perfect. I"m going to do a fold down shelf on the back door and that will work. Amazing. Thank you for that.
Zim