• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

Be aware. I received my rock sliders after a very long wait. Of course they had my money the entire time. Fed ex showed one package and I received it today and it was just the drivers side. No place on their site did it give any indication of just one side. It’s after hours but I still tried to call and when the message said to push zero to leave a message. You push zero and it says invalid entry. I will let you know how this works out but I fear the worse.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm just asking that you show some grace. Having been on the receiving end, people immediately going to the internet with CS issues before giving the company the opportunity to fix it is irritating.
All that said, if it was negligence on their part and they refuse to make it right, by all means let it rip.
Edit To Add: It's also common for heavy goods to be in two separate packages under the same tracking number, or for only one tracking number to be emailed to you. Sometimes when either of those things happen one package may not make it through the sort at the shipping facility and may be delayed, or the driver may only deliver one and that won't be discovered until they unload the truck at the end of the day, thus delaying delivery of the second box. So it could be a FedEx issue and not an RCI issue as well.
But I think what may have really got you concerned is the voicemail not being set up, which is bad form on RCIs part.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow Harsh!
I never realized my rocksliders were bling. I guess i'm a dumbass too. Too bad I fabricate most of my parts. I guess that make me twice as bad when I go out of business' in six months.
No need to bash the OP for the manufacture screwing up.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
And now I started into the install and find out they sent me the wrong slider. I order 2010 to present with kdss and they sent me the 4 runner slider..
ugh, thats rough, nothing puts a damper on the day like wrong parts.

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
And now I started into the install and find out they sent me the wrong slider. I order 2010 to present with kdss and they sent me the 4 runner slider..
Hmmm let me know if they let you keep these and send you new ones, I might be interested in trying to make them work on my 470

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
Sorry about your bad luck. I never had an issue ordering from them. I did however, order items that were in stock, so that might be the difference. I think they will do the right thing.
Good luck.

Reactions: Dilldog

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
Also, I communicated with them via email several times and received prompt replies.

Reactions: Dilldog

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Its typically best to give people a chance to make things right before complaining on the internet. I've been there and it sucks, but give them a chance before smearing their name...
The RCI website says a 3-7 week wait. Two months is acceptable, no doubt. However, how much of a chance is acceptable? I posted up an unhappiness a few months ago. I gave them a week and multiple correspondences to make it right. Coincidentally or not, they made it right after I posted up about it. What the OP is describing is the exact reason I deal with old school companies that have been around for decades and have a world wide positive reputation. I’m sure RCI has great people and put out a great product, but a single downturn in revenue is sometimes enough to put the new kid on the block, out of business. ( been there; done that) . As the fad of “ overlanding” subsides, a lot of small fry suppliers and manufacturers will be cutting back on QC, customer service, etc etc. But, ARB, Frontrunner, Slee and a small handful of others will remain. In todays economy it doesn’t matter what we are purchasing, we all must ask and consider before the purchase, will they still be in business next month? Next year? Ten years from now? I’m currently shopping for a water heater for my home. I’ll be buying a Rheem. They’ve been in business for a hundred years and probably will be a hundred from now. Other than that, the OP seems quite impatient. So used to satisfying instant gratification on the spot that it’s very uncomfortable not being able to satisfy that guttural urge. I can’t imagine what would become of him if he had to wait nearly a year for an auxillary fuel tank or 10 months to get a sofa reupholstered. I see a white van and a straight jacket. ( tongue firmly in my cheeks of sarcasm.

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I can understand your frustration! I ordered a roof rack from Gobi in mid-January 2021. They happily accepted full payment and promised the rack would arrive in 4 months. Come May - a lonely desert wind, tumbleweeds, bleached animal bones, and no rack…I called for a status update and Gobi extended the deadline to 6 months, due to supply chain shortages. I returned home in early September from a trip and still nothing - no delivery or communication from Gobi. At this point I called them and calmly explained that I had been very patient (I could have popped out a baby faster than their metal fabrication) and if the rack did not arrive before the end of the month, I would resort to a complaint with the BBB. It miraculously appeared on Sept 25. It’s important to remain calm and civil and keep meticulous records of your interaction with the company, particularly if the issue goes to mediation.
On another note, my sliders (4Runner, no KDSS) came from RSG Metalworks; shout out for a great product, along with prompt and friendly service!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I could refab it to work. Not really the point here. 1000 dollars for 2 months waiting and then Receive the wrong parts. The product is well made. So far their customer service has been not so hot. Onesupport arm runs into the KDSS. But I guess I am the dumb ass huh.
Yeah, you should absolutely not need to modify a product. Not only does that mean the product is wrong, but it will void any kind of warranty or customer support. It sucks to hear that they have not been providing great support (also in the past it seems too).
I generally like to deal with smaller shops/ companies so I tend to be more forgiving of issues. But when a shop/ company starts to have a habit of messing up, then fire away and they get removed from my list...

And you are not a dumb ass at all (maybe a bit quick to venting on the internet :wink:, but certainly not a dumb ass). You bought a product you wanted and thus far have not had a good customer experience, it's natural to be frustrated. And once they start not providing support, well then in opinion its 100% acceptable to take to the internet and let others know about how you were treated...

Reactions: Joaquin Suave

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I can understand your frustration! I ordered a roof rack from Gobi in mid-January 2021. They happily accepted full payment and promised the rack would arrive in 4 months. Come May - a lonely desert wind, tumbleweeds, bleached animal bones, and no rack…I called for a status update and Gobi extended the deadline to 6 months, due to supply chain shortages. I returned home in early September from a trip and still nothing - no delivery or communication from Gobi. At this point I called them and calmly explained that I had been very patient (I could have popped out a baby faster than their metal fabrication) and if the rack did not arrive before the end of the month, I would resort to a complaint with the BBB. It miraculously appeared on Sept 25. It’s important to remain calm and civil and keep meticulous records of your interaction with the company, particularly if the issue goes to mediation.
On another note, my sliders (4Runner, no KDSS) came from RSG Metalworks; shout out for a great product, along with prompt and friendly service!
I like your approach - calm, civil, records of interactions. But ; but; a Gobi? what did you expect?

Reactions: ZombieCat

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

multiple issues here. First, they shipped the sliders in two boxes and only gave me the tracking for one. Never attached the second one to my order. No paperwork at all with the box, the box did not even have any kind of part number or what it was for on it.. this is setting their company up for failure. No marking of 1 of 2 boxes or anything. So when I received my first box RCI sent me an email stating my order was complete.
I received my second box. However the drivers side slider does not fit and they sent me the one for the 4Runner. I made a lot of calls this morning and left a lot of messages. Finally I spoke to a person did not believe me and said to send him pictures and when he gets time he would look into it. This didn’t set very well with me and I had to take a step back and explain customer service a little. Then told me it would be a few weeks before I received a replacement if he felt like it was their error. I took the pics and sent them off. I then called the company again and spoke to a manager. His name was Tim and he and I had a nice long chat. Tim saw the pics and admitted they were wrong. He checked the warehouse and said they didn’t have any but would get his fabricator on it asap and get it to powder coating. Tim listened to my complaints but I am not sure it was heard.
I actually see this a lot in my world. A person starts a business and has a good product but has a hard time with the office and administrative duties. I hope they can get this turned around.

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I like your approach - calm, civil, records of interactions. But ; but; a Gobi? what did you expect?
I know, I know…lol…but the heart wants what the heart wants…
In all honesty, it’s well built and installation was smooth as butter on a warm spring day. I really appreciated the sturdy construction as I sat on top it last summer while a grouchy bull elk circled my truck and bluff charged everyone in the parking area. I was above eye level, so he ignored me!

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I know, I know…lol…but the heart wants what the heart wants…
In all honesty, it’s well built and installation was smooth as butter on a warm spring day. I really appreciated the sturdy construction as I sat on top it last summer while a grouchy bull elk circled my truck and bluff charged everyone in the parking area. I was above eye level, so he ignored me!
An open self effacing sense of humor goes a long way too.

Reactions: ZombieCat

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
multiple issues here. First, they shipped the sliders in two boxes and only gave me the tracking for one. Never attached the second one to my order. No paperwork at all with the box, the box did not even have any kind of part number or what it was for on it.. this is setting their company up for failure. No marking of 1 of 2 boxes or anything. So when I received my first box RCI sent me an email stating my order was complete.
I received my second box. However the drivers side slider does not fit and they sent me the one for the 4Runner. I made a lot of calls this morning and left a lot of messages. Finally I spoke to a person did not believe me and said to send him pictures and when he gets time he would look into it. This didn’t set very well with me and I had to take a step back and explain customer service a little. Then told me it would be a few weeks before I received a replacement if he felt like it was their error. I took the pics and sent them off. I then called the company again and spoke to a manager. His name was Tim and he and I had a nice long chat. Tim saw the pics and admitted they were wrong. He checked the warehouse and said they didn’t have any but would get his fabricator on it asap and get it to powder coating. Tim listened to my complaints but I am not sure it was heard.
I actually see this a lot in my world. A person starts a business and has a good product but has a hard time with the office and administrative duties. I hope they can get this turned around.
Hope they get it right. RCI was one of the companies I was looking at for sliders myself. I think I'll jump to one of the other many offerings. (Gonna try calling and seeing if any have done in stock)

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Be aware. I received my rock sliders after a very long wait. Of course they had my money the entire time. Fed ex showed one package and I received it today and it was just the drivers side. No place on their site did it give any indication of just one side. It’s after hours but I still tried to call and when the message said to push zero to leave a message. You push zero and it says invalid entry. I will let you know how this works out but I fear the worse.
Sorry this happened to you, I know it can be frustrating! I dealt with RCI multiple times with no issues and their products have always been great. I wonder if something changed recently.

Reactions: Boort

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Hopefully they did hear you and get things sorted out.

I will say, having worked in online sales of custom products your experience sounds about par for a miss-ship, they need pictures before any kind of a determination can be made. You would be amazed how many calls I took for "wrong parts" and it was just someone who didn't know how to install the part. I am 100% with you though, its dumb to not have part numbers. And that is putting it nicely. A simple part number, and the warehouse updating both tracking numbers would have avoided all of this.