RAM 2500 Custom Overland Build, RTT Rack, Aux Batt, Transfer Tank, Sliders & Other Stuff!

• HTML tutorial

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Just saw this mount on another site, if I had more stuff going on in my Ram I might think about getting one. Looks like it's built well and would be pretty handy for mounting accessories.

Reactions: M Rose

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Just saw this mount on another site, if I had more stuff going on in my Ram I might think about getting one. Looks like it's built well and would be pretty handy for mounting accessories.
That looks well thought out.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I finally started building sliders today.....

Took care of all the bends with random lengths added first and laid them out in the driveway.

Then started working on the .250 wall slider material. Trying to use up what I had on hand, I had to join a couple sections of 2 x 3 x .250. I chose to TIG it together for the cleanliness and added strength.

1120201522_HDR.jpg

1120201552_HDR.jpg
1120201613_HDR.jpg

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Beautiful work. I'm jealous of your skill and your build! I may attempt some sliders for my truck one day, but that may be the extent of my fabrication adventure-ness. My lack of experience and lack of access to decent equipment kind of limit what I'm willing to booger weld. :D

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Beautiful work. I'm jealous of your skill and your build! I may attempt some sliders for my truck one day, but that may be the extent of my fabrication adventure-ness. My lack of experience and lack of access to decent equipment kind of limit what I'm willing to booger weld. :D
Thanks John. You can learn this stuff. Its really not that hard, just gotta jump in. You can get a decent welding machine for about the same cost of a new Glock, a few extra mags, and a couple boxes of ammo....Just sayin!
These sliders would cost me $1100 plus freight, I can build them for under $400. With that savings, maybe I will buy me a new Glock! :grinning:

Reactions: GLOCKer

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Thanks John. You can learn this stuff. Its really not that hard, just gotta jump in. You can get a decent welding machine for about the same cost of a new Glock, a few extra mags, and a couple boxes of ammo....Just sayin!
These sliders would cost me $1100 plus freight, I can build them for under $400. With that savings, maybe I will buy me a new Glock! :grinning:
I may try something for sliders. I have access to a simple welding setup at work and a friend that owns a steel business. One one hand, engineering it correctly worries me. On the other hand, the money saved might keep my wife from divorcing me. :laughing:

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I may try something for sliders. I have access to a simple welding setup at work and a friend that owns a steel business. One one hand, engineering it correctly worries me. On the other hand, the money saved might keep my wife from divorcing me. :laughing:
What kind of truck? Do you know the weight?

I am using 2x3x.250 wall rectangle tube for the main slide bar.
2x2x.250 wall will be used extend to the frame , plus have 1/4" thick gussets. Then 3x1/2 flat bar will be used to sandwich the frame in 4 locations. I DO NOT recommend welding the bars to the frame. Most frames are formed from fairly thin steel, like 10 ga (about 1/8" thick). This will flex, bend, and eventually fail.
You basically want to transfer the the load into the full frame height, and preferably near cross members as this will be the strongest area of the frame.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
What kind of truck? Do you know the weight?

I am using 2x3x.250 wall rectangle tube for the main slide bar.
2x2x.250 wall will be used extend to the frame , plus have 1/4" thick gussets. Then 3x1/2 flat bar will be used to sandwich the frame in 4 locations. I DO NOT recommend welding the bars to the frame. Most frames are formed from fairly thin steel, like 10 ga (about 1/8" thick). This will flex, bend, and eventually fail.
You basically want to transfer the the load into the full frame height, and preferably near cross members as this will be the strongest area of the frame.
I don't know the weight, but I imagine I should be able to source that info relatively easily. I'm in a 4 door Ranger.
2020-11-11 14.46.44.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I don't know the weight, but I imagine I should be able to source that info relatively easily. I'm in a 4 door Ranger.
View attachment 177881
Nice truck!

I feel you would be fine with 2x2 x.250 wall main slider tube and 1.5 x 1.5 x .250 connector arms. And .120 wall round tube is adequate for the step portion but you could upgrade to .188 wall if you feel your style of trails will warrant the extra protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: GLOCKer

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Today I worked on getting some of the pieces tack welded together.
I also made a template for the stubby pieces that strengthen the step tube and attach it to the main slide bar.
Because I decided to angle the step tube up about 20 degrees, it made for a challenge in cutting those double angles on the stubby pieces.
I got one real close then made the template.

I rolled the accurate stub piece in paper and made sure the edges of the "fish mouth" and the 45 degree cut were pressed into the paper to trace later...
1124201742a_HDR.jpg

1124201743_HDR.jpg
Then all I have to do is cut the "fish mouth" and aligne the template to the tube and trace the 45 degree cut.
1124201814_HDR.jpg

The cool thing too is that you can reverse the angle just by rolling it on the tube with the opposite side facing the tube. This is for the other side.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
The above process is a bit time consuming but you end up with a perfect fitting joint...
1124201837_HDR.jpg

1124201837a_HDR.jpg

Now to make 5 more!

Reactions: GLOCKer and Cypress

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Managed to get all of the welds finished on the main slider sections.
IMG_20201126_214238_080.jpg

Tomorrow I will start working on the mounting portion.