RAM 2500 Custom Overland Build, RTT Rack, Aux Batt, Transfer Tank, Sliders & Other Stuff!

• HTML tutorial

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Meanwhile back in the driveway,

I have been hesitant to paint and install the panels that protect the back window from contact. But, I decided that I wanted to see some color on them. My original thought was to powder coat them an orange. Want to break the black up, but I went with some metallic gun metal.

What do you guys think?

0808191813_HDR.jpg

0808191813a_HDR.jpg

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Meanwhile back in the driveway,

I have been hesitant to paint and install the panels that protect the back window from contact. But, I decided that I wanted to see some color on them. My original thought was to powder coat them an orange. Want to break the black up, but I went with some metallic gun metal.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 111779

View attachment 111780
Have to say the orange would probably look janky glad you went with the gun metal. Besides black on a vehicle. The gun metal is my next favorite color! The old ladys f150 is that color and looks sharp with black accents!

Reactions: JCWages

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Thats the ikamper hard top. I like the one you @pne explr went with (pop up)
The ikamper was a strong contender. It really came down to being able to carry my canoe and mtb bike.
I just ordered bars for the top of my CVT from rhino rack today.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
It has become very noticeable recently that the factory original shocks have given up the ghost. So I decided to upgrade to some Fox 2.0 Performance Series replacements.
0815191825.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
PROJECT - "AMP HOURS"

Hey Everyone!

Hope you all have had a good weekend.

I have been working on the idea of an auxiliary battery setup and a power bank for the bed of my truck. I have been trying to figure out how to mount a large battery and not give up a bunch of prime space. This is what I came up with.....

I realized I would need to chop a huge hole. There is so much unused space between the outer bed and the inner bed, like 4 1/2". So I started cutting.....
This is the hole for the power distribution panel,
0908191743.jpg

And here is the big hole for the group 29 deep cycle,
0914191633_HDR.jpg

I spent Saturday fabricating the custom battery box. I started by making a base frame from 1" angle iron,
0921191638.jpg

Then I took a small sheet of 12 gauge diamond plate and made the box,
0921191638b.jpg

Here is a rare sighting of me in my natural habitat,
0921191712_HDR.jpg

I used some flat bar to make the flange and some expanded metal for the floor. A lot of test fitting was required to match the contours of the bed wall.

0921191856.jpg

Fast forward to the final product,
0922191804a_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow I will start installing the isolator kit. This will allow me to charge the "house" battery when the truck is running, but prevent me from killing the truck starting batteries when using various accessories.

Have a great week guys!

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Hey Everyone!

Hope you all have had a good weekend.

I have been working on the idea of an auxiliary battery setup and a power bank for the bed of my truck. I have been trying to figure out how to mount a large battery and not give up a bunch of prime space. This is what I came up with.....

I realized I would need to chop a huge hole. There is so much unused space between the outer bed and the inner bed, like 4 1/2". So I started cutting.....
This is the hole for the power distribution panel,
View attachment 118740

And here is the big hole for the group 29 deep cycle,
View attachment 118741

I spent Saturday fabricating the custom battery box. I started by making a base frame from 1" angle iron,
View attachment 118742

Then I took a small sheet of 12 gauge diamond plate and made the box,
View attachment 118743

Here is a rare sighting of me in my natural habitat,
View attachment 118745

I used some flat bar to make the flange and some expanded metal for the floor. A lot of test fitting was required to match the contours of the bed wall.

View attachment 118746

Fast forward to the final product,
View attachment 118747

Tomorrow I will start installing the isolator kit. This will allow me to charge the "house" battery when the truck is running, but prevent me from killing the truck starting batteries when using various accessories.

Have a great week guys!
That's rad! I'm always thinking of what I could store under the bed. There's all kinds of room under there.

Are you going to build a cover for the battery?

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
That's rad! I'm always thinking of what I could store under the bed. There's all kinds of room under there.

Are you going to build a cover for the battery?
Thanks @JCWages . Not sure about the cover. I have given some thought as to the + terminal being exposed. If I do a cover, I would want it easily removable. I have plans to use a solar panel with a built in controller that can just be clipped onto the battery.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I a little behind on the updates.

Last weekend I was finally able to complete the Aux Battery upgrade. The snag was due to the main battery cable that came with the isolator kit ended up about 3 feet short. So I had to order a longer one. Because of the added distance, I decided to step up the cable size to 1/0. This will more than handle the 140 potential amps.

Here are the final connections,
1006191805b_HDR.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I only had today off this week. And with the Coyote Works Oregon trip just 5 days away I needed to get a few things done.

First I replaced the Rigid Radiance ditch lights with a set of Baja Designs S2 Pros. I was not satisfied with the light output of the Rigids. They are a great scene light, just not enough throw for the front.

Here are the S2's,
1006191805a_HDR.jpg

1006191805_HDR.jpg

I moved the Rigids to the rear of the truck where I think they will do very well as reverse/area lights.
1006191804a_HDR.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to mount a set of cheap flood pods to the rack for side area lights. I wired the left and right sides on separate switches on the Switch Pros. I thought this was a good idea, making it possible to place light only where needed
1006191804_HDR.jpg