Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
so I am a ham operator and have a dual band mobile in the truck .. one of the import jobs (lexian) so just curious what means of communication is most widely used on your runs ? ham ? cb? frs? gmrs? I am covered in most instances with the units I have unless good old cb .

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
In my experience cb is still king but losing ground all the time. HAM is out because not everyone can use it. Dual band and GMRS are rapidly gaining on cb.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Locally, FRS is taking over. FRS/GMRS share channels so that covers about everyone, the small inexpensive hand held radios are great for starters and you can move up to GMRS with more power and vehicle mounted radios with the license.

I'm a ham and there are a few others locally that are as well and we use it to keep in touch or when traveling to a meet-up.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I’m not a fan of using anything that requires a license, which includes a drivers license but I grudgingly comply. Among my group the CB is still the standard. It definitely has its limitations, but the purpose is short range communication between vehicles. A lot of times it’s as simple as calling the vehicle ahead of you to tell them to get off at the next exit because you have to take a piss. Personally, I am a fan of a radio hardmounted in the vehicle because you never forget it, always has power and is readily available for use.

Having used FRS radios (walkie talkie type), albeit 10 years ago, I understand the appeal and superior performance parameters. They certainly have a role and I can see them become more and more a part of vehicle communications. The biggest appeal I can see is the convenience of grab and go with no radio/antenna installation or hardwiring.

That said, I’ll be sticking with my CB until that last possible moment when I have to add another means of communication. I will always keep my CB if for nothing else than to chat with truckers on the highway