Radio

• HTML tutorial
Z

Zander Abear

Hello all, I have been wanting some kind of radio for overlanding. I just want to know what people are running, or suggest because I know how many kinds of radios there are, and I don’t know anything about them. I want something with a long range, but not crazy expensive.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hello all, I have been wanting some kind of radio for overlanding. I just want to know what people are running, or suggest because I know how many kinds of radios there are, and I don’t know anything about them. I want something with a long range, but not crazy expensive.
Do you travel with a "regular" group? If so get what they use so you can communicate with them.
I hear the CB is still used on the East Coast, not so much on the West Coast (or middle I think)
I would suggest GMRS radios for you. Try searching your favorite retailer for "Midland GMRS" - sure there are other brands but Midland seems to make decent products.
There are a metric ton of other threads here with the same question and lots of good answers.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
You might contact the Mid West Regional Director @Mike W or your local Member Representatives @Ohio Valley Overland & @James.Laidlaw. They can advise you what people in your region are using.

And as Greg advised above there is lots of info on the Comms page about this topic.

Lexuswoobie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harker Heights, Texas, USA
First Name
Tri
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX545
We run a President Bill CB and a handheld GMRS for now. The community use here in Central Texas is crazy... but more folks are going to GMRS since the license and learning curve is much less than Ham. We run the CB for the weather mostly but some folks still use CB on trails. Midland 275 is on the to get list after some mods to the truck.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We run a President Bill CB and a handheld GMRS for now. The community use here in Central Texas is crazy... but more folks are going to GMRS since the license and learning curve is much less than Ham. We run the CB for the weather mostly but some folks still use CB on trails. Midland 275 is on the to get list after some mods to the truck.
Neat looking radio! Is the USB port for power only or does it allow control, etc.?

Reactions: Zander Abear

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Like @Greg Eigsti said, do you run with a group and if so what do they use? and/or are they willing to change?
CB is still used in many areas, especially in logging areas. The Jeep groups local to me are still sticking to their 1970s technology.
GMRS is increasing in popularity, even Jeep Jamboree has gone to GMRS. It's good for trail/convoy comms and offers a bit more clear range than CB. Besides not being as popular and needing a license GMRS is better than CB in every way.
If you want long range, ham radio is the cream of the crop.

And this is why many of us run more than one radio.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I have both GMRS and a Dual-Band Ham. But with that said, what I'm using is probably much less important to you than what what your own crew uses.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'll echo what's been said above. Find out what the people you run with use. And that first. I'm setup to run CB, GMRS and HAM. I don' typically run with any one group but I've had luck getting the local Jeep club to move towards GMRS. To the point I've been able to run a "Jeep Club" net on the local GMRS repeater. I suggest GMRS if you have no interest in getting your HAM license, or get both hah. But if everyone around you is running CB getting GMRS would be useless as well.

Lexuswoobie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harker Heights, Texas, USA
First Name
Tri
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX545
Neat looking radio! Is the USB port for power only or does it allow control, etc.?
The USB is a power outlet. I have plugged in the GMRS handheld into it to save the other 2 I have for tablet and phone

Reactions: Downs and Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I will agree the learning part is easier for GMRS, but $15 for life compared to $5/year isn’t less...

Reactions: Downs