Paasche

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Buenrostro
Hi-I'm new to all this and with Black Friday here-is Midland Radio a good place to buy one or Amazon? Also I'm hoping to join a trip here in a couple weeks and I see a GMRS channel that's going to be used so guessing that type of rail would be good to take. Are these different than the Motorola ones you buy like at Costco? Can anyone recommend a good set? Hoping to use with others on trips or give to my son when we go someplace and stay connected when no cell service-thanks.

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

First, go get your GMRS license. You will need that if it is a GMRS only channel. While that is being handled by the FCC, you would do well with Midland. It is a reputable company that has very easy to use gear which they stand behind. As noted previously, depending on whether you want a handheld or a higher power mobile radio suggestions can be provided.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

If you go handheld or mobile, either way, just be aware that you will have much better range in vehicle to vehicle comms with an external antenna.

Using a radio with the antenna in your rolling metal box tends to limit range quite a bit.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Bob Berryhill

Rank III

Traveler III

Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Berryhill
Member #

The Midland MXT575 seems to be a good choice for a mobile unit but its release is either delayed or it is simply out of stock. What is a good alternative?
What about a a handheld with an external antennae as an interim solution? If that would work, then I'd still have a hand-held for use outside of the vehicle when the MXT575 becomes available. What would be a good antennae choice that would work with the handheld but also work with the mobile set?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Bob Berryhill get whatever antenna you will want for your mobile radio, ghost antenna, 3db, 6db, whatever. Get coax with a pl259 connector to fit a mobile radio. You can then get an adapter and pigtail to connect the coax to the handheld.

Reactions: OkieMountaineer