Quick release solar panel mount

• HTML tutorial

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

Hi guys & gals. I'm looking around for some quick release solar panel mounts. I found these guys below

They don't sell them here in the US however. Do you know of any company in the States that offer a similar solution? Thanks
everyone.

Attachments

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I haven't seen anything ready-made in the states for quick-release latches for panels, so am planning to make my own.

I have a folding set of panels that I keep on top of my hardshell RTT when underway, that I then take down and move about when camped. I've used a temp system of extra strong bungees to secure them, which has proven to be surprisingly secure and stable, though not a long-term solution.

I'm contemplating a couple different ways to better secure the panels with a quick release method. Described below.

solarsnow-210213_4986-900.jpeg
Strong bungees holding folding panels to hard shell RTT.

One method I've been planning is to use simple pieces of 1" aluminum angle--either riveted or adhered with 3M VHB to my hardshell--that fit the long sides of my panels. The far side of my panels will have slightly curved aluminum tabs that engage corresponding slots in the aluminum angle, locking into place as I lower the panels on the near side. The near side will have matching drilled holes in both angle and panels, secured by three, maybe four, small spring latches or ball lock pins placed to keep the panel from rising at the hinge points or leading edge.

springhinge-675.jpg
Stainless Spring Latches

balllockpin-675.jpg
Ball Lock Pin - I like these more, already use them on my trailer rack risers, and would not have to screw them down to install.

Another method would be to do the same as above, but on the near side have the same tabs as the far side that fit into open slots in the aluminum angle, with a piece of aluminum flat bar that pivots down from one end of the aluminum angle, over the tabs, and locks in place at the other end of the angle with a trailer coupler lock. I have one I've used with my trailer tailgate spring latches for years and it's been durable and easy to use.

Using the trailer coupler lock would achieve two things over using the ball lock pins; be only one thing to make it work and keep track of instead of three or four pins, and be a way to increase security. No one has ever messed with my panels, whether on the hardshell or on the ground, though it would be a nice simple way to lock them in place.

lock-675.jpeg
Tongue Coupler Lock - hoping to find keyed-alike to use them in multiple places around rig and camp.

Like most design ideas, I'll keep mulling this over in my mind to make it easy to use, simple to install, and hardy to the weather.

I'm interested in what else you find or is added to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnlyTaco