SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
It’s a fun kit to put together… I still have two kits unspoken for.
I read through the build manual a few days ago and its totally a fun, low effort build. Well, fun and low effort for me, anyways. The documentation is GREAT for the build and testing. Its a lot more thorough than I was expecting.
I'm building mine with a few of the add-ons and I'm planning on making it a bit more on the robust side, as I suspect this will get used out in the field at some point when I get some semblance of chops on CW. I picked up the 40m flavor for mine.

I'll start updating this thread with build pics when I start mine, because I know everyone loves those and we're all a bunch of nerds here. One aspect in particular I'll be focusing on with my build is thermal management of the power amp, as the solutions described in the manual leave a lot to be desired and I have a large electronics boneyard (and salvaged guitar amplifiers) to pull from at home. I'm not sure if I'll machine a chunk of AL to interface with the back of the transistors and the thermal pad/vias on the board yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Next challenge will be figuring out how/where to do an HF antenna at home and then what to use for a mobile solution.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I read through the build manual a few days ago and its totally a fun, low effort build. Well, fun and low effort for me, anyways. The documentation is GREAT for the build and testing. Its a lot more thorough than I was expecting.
I'm building mine with a few of the add-ons and I'm planning on making it a bit more on the robust side, as I suspect this will get used out in the field at some point when I get some semblance of chops on CW. I picked up the 40m flavor for mine.

I'll start updating this thread with build pics when I start mine, because I know everyone loves those and we're all a bunch of nerds here. One aspect in particular I'll be focusing on with my build is thermal management of the power amp, as the solutions described in the manual leave a lot to be desired and I have a large electronics boneyard (and salvaged guitar amplifiers) to pull from at home. I'm not sure if I'll machine a chunk of AL to interface with the back of the transistors and the thermal pad/vias on the board yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Next challenge will be figuring out how/where to do an HF antenna at home and then what to use for a mobile solution.
I’m using a MFJ 40m hamstick dipole at 20’ for my QCX Mini. Works ok for NVIS… for SOTA/POTA I use a 40m EFHW cut for the lower part of the 40m band.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I had an hour or so before a trip this past weekend so I got started on my kit… wound the main transformer then got most of the caps/diodes and crystals into the board.
If I have time tonight, ill get the rest of it finished up.

A08B2ED5-091E-40D4-8FF9-DFE9271C2A4A.jpeg

Reactions: M Rose