Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
As long as the pipe isn't marked as DWV (drain waste vent) it is supposed to be fine for potable water. The DWV pipe is often a little bit cheaper so than other pipe the same size. IF you see that, be looking for the marking.

Reactions: Road

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

PVC pipe can be used in potable water systems. If you build your own container, be sure you clean it out and sanitize it before the first use.
A 100 to 200 ppm bleach solution is an effective sanitizer. Make sure you get at least 30 seconds of contact with all surfaces.
Be sure you rinse the bleach water out before you fill it with drinking water.
Sanitize the system between refills.

Here is where I see a real issue:
Pressurizing the tank. If you pressurize the tank with an air compressor you will introduce oil to the system. Normal "work use" air compressors all blow a little oil and condensation along with the charged air.
Your clean potable water gets contaminated by the compressed air.

Sorry if that seems obsessive, but food/water safety is part of my job.

You could build the tank out of PVC and plumb the water through a suitable water pump, but I don't think that is what you were asking.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

PVC pipe can be used in potable water systems. If you build your own container, be sure you clean it out and sanitize it before the first use.
A 100 to 200 ppm bleach solution is an effective sanitizer. Make sure you get at least 30 seconds of contact with all surfaces.
Be sure you rinse the bleach water out before you fill it with drinking water.
Sanitize the system between refills.

Here is where I see a real issue:
Pressurizing the tank. If you pressurize the tank with an air compressor you will introduce oil to the system. Normal "work use" air compressors all blow a little oil and condensation along with the charged air.
Your clean potable water gets contaminated by the compressed air.

Sorry if that seems obsessive, but food/water safety is part of my job.

You could build the tank out of PVC and plumb the water through a suitable water pump, but I don't think that is what you were asking.
You are correct about the "Work" type air compressors using oil and that could get into the water, however it is a very small amount. But, nearly all of the small portable air compressors are "Oil-less" they use a rubber diaphragm or other method to pump the air. I have a few small air compressors and none of them use oil, they are all oil-less.
So, just use one of those and you are fine. In other words, done fill at the local tire shop or mechanics shop.

Reactions: AntWookie and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As I wrote in this post yesterday about a PVC rack storage, my understanding is that some PVC has plasticizers, which you do not want for drinking water storage. Schedule 40 PVC (what you usually see in the plumbing section; it will say Schedule 40 right on the pipe) is free of plasticizers and fine for potable water. Even then, it's not meant for long-term storage but to be rotated out with fresh as it's used.

Also, as @loper with more experience says, and is worth repeating: Sanitizing Can Be Critical. It's no fun to be on the road, especially back country with intestinal problems from bacteria in your potable water supply:

From the US Navy: "To sanitize containers and utensils, mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry."

More in the attached pdf from cnic.navy.mil on emergency water purification, storage, disinfection, etc. I keep copies of this type of thing and from other sources, like the EPA's guide for Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water, accessible on my mobile devices, as much to remind me as to have handy for others.

Attachments

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Red trace hose, it’s been used it in the marine industry for years. Home Depot, Ace, Lowe’s.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Red trace hose, it’s been used it in the marine industry for years. Home Depot, Ace, Lowe’s.
That's good stuff, though I believe he is asking about lengths of large diam PVC, like 4"-6"-8" mounted on a rack as water storage, sometimes pressurized to create a faucet/shower set up.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Make it where it stands on end and use gravity to add pressure? Store it lying down...might be a little heavy. Maybe put your antennae on top?

Trail Boss

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larmann
Thank you all for some good information. My compressor is oil less so I hope it would be safe to use. The explanation of the pvc piping was very helpful and especially the sanitation explanation.
What I am thinking for use with this is not so much taking a shower although that could happen but more the following.
I hunt and fish and sometimes have to process game and fish in the field to get it in a cooler. I would like to be able to spray the meet to clean it up a bit before bagging it and clean knives cutting boards etc and wash up my hands. Being able to use the water to fill my pot to boil for a cup of coffee or a freeze dried meal would be a bonus as would being able to use it for drinking water. If I sanitize the system do you feel I will be ok? I had been given contaminated water at a hunting camp a couple of years ago and ended up in the hospital for 10 days so I want to be safe. Thanks

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Empty, sanitize, and rinse between uses and you should be O.K.

If you want extra insurance plumb it through a filter system.

Reactions: lhoffm4 and Road