Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I'm on the verge of building my own 4x6 trailer. I'm just having a hard time saying go. I do have the money saved, and plans somewhat planned out. My problem is, do I really want a trailer, or is my addictive personality kicking in.

Pros for wanting a trailer: Ease of leaving camp set up to go exploring. Could tow with my wife's truck to take the whole family (since the Tacoma can't fit 6). Keep everything stored inside, just hook up and go. No need to keep the RTT on 24/7. I'm connected to a trailer business (parts at cost).

Cons for not wanting a trailer: I have a rack that holds my RTT. Normaly, it's just me and the boys that go camping. Need extra room to store it.

I know this might need to go in the Trailer Build section. I just thought there might be more people searching this page vs the other. Thoughts, opinions, experiences with building one? I'm open to all the above.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Been there myself, could get a cheap trailer but do I really need or even want it?

I decided to not get it at this point.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

That's where I'm at. I don't need it, but it would make things easier.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I have a similar problem right now, do I really need a roof rack or do I just want it?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
After seeing some trailers with RTT's at Off the Grid and weighing the pros and cons of a trailer vs RTT on the jeep Ive decided to go with the lightest RTT I can find and make a lift system in my shop to remove it easily. Don't want the added weight up high but if it doesn't work out I can always put it on a trailer.