Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Ammo Can Stove.JPG

Several years ago, there was a rage going on Youtube where folks were using military surplus ammo cans for bbq, fire pit, cook stove, tent stove, or even a rocket stove and a gasifier stove. I figured I'd try my hand at building one that did it all. lol. I have to take some more pics of the build components and in its different configurations, but thought this first pic in fire pit mode was pretty cool. I will add more pics of the build in short order. Until I can get the pics sorted here is the gist of the build:

1. Outer shell is made from a 30mm surplus ammo can with 3/4" holes drilled along the bottom to allow air flow inside the burn chamber
2. Inner burn chamber is welded up 3/16" thick plate steel with a series of 1/4" holes drilled along the bottom to allow air in to increase the burn and a row of ¼ inch holes near the top of the inner burn chamber to allow combustion gasses to mix with heated air to provide gasifier level combustion.
3. Legs are removable and connect to a frame/base made from a metal bed frame. This holds the stove off the ground and it all folds down and comes apart to fit inside the stove for transport
4. Side shelves are made from the lids of two additional 30mm ammo cans that carry the stove fittings, firewood, etc. and provide work surface and warming shelves while cooking.
5. The main lid is hinged to allow the stove to be opened to feed wood or coal. It also has a hole for the main chimney part of the rocket stove. It closes to provide a generous cooking surface for a large pan/pot. It has a steel plate welded in to the cook surface to provide a reinforced warp-resistant cooking surface. There is a water boiler with a faucet that attaches to the chimney and uses the chimney heat to boil the water for use in cooking, cleaning, hot beverages.
6. The back side of the stove (under the water jacket boiler) has an opening for the rocket stove that also feeds into the chimney with a 3” cast iron T. This allows me to either feed it from the back and use it as a rocket stove, or feed it through the front topside to use it as a wood burning stove.
7. There is a steel fire grate inside to keep the fuel off the bottom of the inner can that also allows airfrlow from the vent holes to enter under the fire grate and assist with combustion.

8. The inner can has about a 1/8th inch clearance to the outer can. This not only keeps the outer can from warping under excessive heat, but also super heats the air between the two chambers.

9. A row of ¼ inch holes in the inner chamber just about an inch below the lid allows that super heated air to be re-introduced into the inner burn chamber when the lid is closed, allowing enhanced combustion of fuel and flue gasses, consistent with the concepts of a gasifier stove. The end result is the fine ash, hotter fire and a much more efficient solid fuel combustion.

10. The shelves are attached by the use of steel pegboard shelf brackets that connect to the outer ammo can with additional holes drilled to receive them. These holes also allow outside air to enter the outer can and make their way into the inner can through holes drilled in the inner can below the lid.

It’s definitely not your backpacker stove. I may use it at some point for a tent stove in a large cabin tent, but it is a great bbq, as well as a rocket stove for cooking.