Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Is one greater than the other after all?

One may argue the production derives from the experience anyway. The other will argue that the constant seeking of production value has interrupted the genuine experience of the journey.

I had a long discussion with my mate a few days ago about this same topic. We are both considering a new start with YouTube and came across a mental obstacle when discussing the idea. We both agree there must be a fine balance between living the genuine experience and finding time to capture that epic scenery to enhance that production value. We also took into consideration that we are not only doing this for ourselves but also for the like minded community watching our content. Therefor how much of the genuine experience are you willing to sacrifice in order to pump out that epic content?

I find that everything in life must have a balance in order to thrive and prosper. We both agreed that the direction was and honest one and that we both favored quality over quantity. We also agreed that if we can find the time to drop our gear and just embrace the elements of the universe for a while then it would all work out fine. We believe on taking it slow and favoring the side of the experience rather than the production. We both agree this would yield a greater overall level of quality for our production in the long run.

I would like to know what you guys think. Please feel free to share your experiences and thoughts.

- Nickzero

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 3.40.44 AM.png

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I also thought about giving this YouTube thing a push, but I just don't see it, I talked about it with another member (sorry Robert can't tag you)
I for myself have come to a conclusion that I'm not going to film a much as it would be needed to make something interesting.
If you are out often you can film one trip and enjoying the other trip, I'm not out often enough to kill the trip with excessive content creation and I also don't want to bother the other group members on the trip.

Reactions: Nickzero

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

From a production perspective:
I feel the same way as MazeVX. The amount of time it would take to do this would be crushing. I know, because I started a 30 minute TV program at my last church. Hours of editing each week, and we had stationary cameras that we just clicked record on! Now imagine Go-Pros, drones, and DSLRs that YOU have to turn on, charge, record with... Nightmare!

I guarantee Lifestyle Overland and Expedition Overland easily spend 40-60 hours per week on just editing, not to mention filming!

Every person on this planet has the same amount of available hours in the day, week, month, year. You need to ask yourself whether you have a spare 20 hours per week available (minimum), because that's what it will take to put out a quality product, not to mention the equipment cost.

If you are doing this full time like those I referenced above, then it can be fun and rewarding, but will eventually become a job. If you are doing this with your family, then be prepared to take time away from them to do this. It will be a trade off.

From a content perspective:
I only watch the good stuff. Why? Because this is America, and we are all spoiled. I do NOT want to watch a shaky camera, or someone talking for 20 minutes with 10 minutes of actual overland content. I think Expedition Overland has the perfect recipe for this. Lifestyle Overland is a close second, but there is a lot of talking (to be fair, it is just him and his wife, so they can only do so much). To really do it right you need a full crew. No reason to do it if you are only gonna do it halfway. I've turned off many a video because of a talking head, or some guy in his kitchen going over maps... who cares!??!! We wanna see stuff that inspires us to get out there! Mountains, coastlines, rivers, deserts...

James

Reactions: MazeVX and Nickzero

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I had a similar thought, but in a different scenario today. That came when my two year old and four month old boys were interacting with one another. It was the most awesome scene to witness, and be apart of. Seeing them having fun with one another. I bring that up because in that case, and throughout both of their short lives I've kinda battled the "I need to capture this" while scrambling away from the scene to find my phone and missing the rest, versus, sitting back and enjoying it unfold or joining in the fun myself.

Different scenario(s), but similar premise. Enjoy the present and hope those memories stick, or possibly miss out directly but capture it forever/for others.

Reactions: MazeVX and Nickzero

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I've made a bunch of 4wheelin videos as well as vids related to my job as a teacher, and of course our kids.

My entire motivation for making videos; the massive amounts of time in editing, setting up the multiple camera angles on the truck, flying the drone, etc., is to capture my own special memories and be able to look back on them, and share them with friends and loved ones. My oldest simply loves to watch 'dada's shows' and he loves watching himself in them.

If your goal is to build a channel, create a following, maybe make a few nickels on YouTube, so be it, but every third overlander has the same idea, and there is some seriously unwatchable overland videos out there.

Post up some of your vids if you have. Here's a vid of mine from DV

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I had a similar thought, but in a different scenario today. That came when my two year old and four month old boys were interacting with one another. It was the most awesome scene to witness, and be apart of. Seeing them having fun with one another. I bring that up because in that case, and throughout both of their short lives I've kinda battled the "I need to capture this" while scrambling away from the scene to find my phone and missing the rest, versus, sitting back and enjoying it unfold or joining in the fun myself.

Different scenario(s), but similar premise. Enjoy the present and hope those memories stick, or possibly miss out directly but capture it forever/for others.
This is genuinely honest. These types of memories last forever!