Investor

Traveler III

San Ramon, CA, USA
First Name
william
Last Name
childress
Member #

Does that include the propane fire bowls?
It doesn't mention fire pits specifically. I'm not sure if they are considered an "open fire".

"No open fires, campfires or charcoal fires will be permitted outside of developed recreation sites or designated Campfire Use Sites, even with a valid California Campfire Permit. Lanterns and portable stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel will be permitted, but only with a valid California Campfire Permit, which can be obtained free-of-charge at the Ready For Wildfire website. Forest visitors must clear all flammable material for five feet in all directions from their camp stove, have a shovel available, and ensure that a responsible person always attends the stove during use."

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

There are fire restrictions for Los Padres NF till 2023

Regrettably I do not have a propane fire pit / bowl, only a ground mesh / metal wood burning container. Thanks for the info... I'll leave the bundles of wood at home and save for a future trip.,

Last edited:

Fireskyte

Rank V

Advocate II

San Leandro, CA, USA
First Name
Rochelle
Last Name
Czajka
Member #

I won’t be on this trip, vendor sent wrong part so won’t be finished until Fri afternoon.
Take lots of pictures I have been wanting to do Prewitt ridge for a long time

• Sad
Reactions: Roger 2486

WilC

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

San Ramon, CA, USA
First Name
william
Last Name
childress
Member #

Sorry off topic but does anyone know Paul's username. (the guy with the lamas that comes to the east bay meetup)

There's a fire and evacuation orders for the Pleasanton between Bernal and Foothill. Would like to see if he needs any assistance.

@PapaDave

Gx460_Will

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Che
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OFX
Sorry off topic but does anyone know Paul's username. (the guy with the lamas that comes to the east bay meetup)

There's a fire and evacuation orders for the Pleasanton between Bernal and Foothill. Would like to see if he needs any assistance.

@PapaDave
I don’t know but posting on the east bay forum will grab more attention

WilC

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

San Ramon, CA, USA
First Name
william
Last Name
childress
Member #

I didn’t want to spam everyone. But good idea. I’ll post there.

@PapaDave
I don’t know but posting on the east bay forum will grab more attention

Gx460_Will

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Che
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OFX
Thank you all for making my first rally event a “recovered” success. The trip started out with great expectations for Prewitt but the swarm of flies quickly changed that. Then what seem to be a shortened event turned out to be a learning experience and confirmation of how great this team/community truly is for me with the search and rescue. What trip ends with a plus 2 members?

We all learned the importance of InReach or satellite devices on this trip and how it should be included as part of our emergency kit. Like a first aid fit or fire extinguisher, you don’t always need them but could be a life saver when you do.

-Will Che

Attachments

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
HI Will and Team!
Sorry I missed this one. Did any take GPX tracks? Or which route did you take up there?
See ya down the trail!
LZ

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
Liz, we went in via Los Burros Rd - WillChe has added to the rally point a GPX either the route as well as backup camp spots - I have saved that one for future reference
Hope this helps

HI Will and Team!
Sorry I missed this one. Did any take GPX tracks? Or which route did you take up there?
See ya down the trail!
LZ

Reactions: Advtres

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
It doesn't mention fire pits specifically. I'm not sure if they are considered an "open fire".

"No open fires, campfires or charcoal fires will be permitted outside of developed recreation sites or designated Campfire Use Sites, even with a valid California Campfire Permit. Lanterns and portable stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel will be permitted, but only with a valid California Campfire Permit, which can be obtained free-of-charge at the Ready For Wildfire website. Forest visitors must clear all flammable material for five feet in all directions from their camp stove, have a shovel available, and ensure that a responsible person always attends the stove during use."
By the way, I was talking to the ranger of the Monterey District on Monday and she said that gas fire pits are good during this level of fire restriction. When we were there over Memorial Day wkd, CHP cruised by (I know, far) and just nodded on their way.
Note: I have seen, though, there have been some fire restriction levels that do not allow any sort of open flame, including propane stoves.
Maybe @Kent R can chime in on definitions and different levels of fire restrictions in CA?

IMG_2025.png

Reactions: WilC and Advtres

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
The locals in the area tend to keep a close eye on things at Prewitt and the other camping spots along the Ridge road. Even back in May we got stopped by a local on our way out who quizzed us about any campfire activity we did or observed. While her approach was less than ideal, I understand fully that the people living there have a lot to lose if a fire breaks out, so did my best to reassure her that we neither built nor saw any fires. This was before the campfire ban, and she noted how happy she was that it was going into effect a week or so later, and also mentioned she'd likely drive up there that weekend (Memorial) to have a look around for the safety of the area. I have little doubt she did.

Reactions: AlexAtWagan