power options for our camping setup.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am getting ready to install some 12v power for our sylvansport. I am wondering can I charge my battery with our Honda 1000w generator? I am looking at a 400ah LiPo battery, an inverter and some direct 12v as well, as the direct 12v is way more efficient. We will be charging some communication devices like the laptop, ipad and our phones, running some camp lights, and keeping our fridge running off it. If the generator would charge the house battery in a couple of hours we could get a few days from it being careful with our usage.

thanks for the information.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a 280ah lifepo4 battery and i use a smart charger made for the lifepo batteries and it is rated as 7 amps max input...so 7 amps and 120v from your generator is 840w, so i would say that yes, 1000w generator should handle your situation.

look at your charger rating and see if the max amp draw will put you over the 1000w of the generator.

you might could use the 12v output of the generator to charge the battery via a charge controller. not sure if a MPPT controller will operate off of a generator. i dont think the dc output of a generator will be high enough voltage for the MPPT controller to work properly, but might be worth looking into.

the smart charger i use is 14.6v and up to 20 amp output, so on a huge battery like the 400ah, i would definitely go with a good charger that will jam those electrons into the battery.

1721739181210.png

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I am getting ready to install some 12v power for our sylvansport. I am wondering can I charge my battery with our Honda 1000w generator? I am looking at a 400ah LiPo battery, an inverter and some direct 12v as well, as the direct 12v is way more efficient. We will be charging some communication devices like the laptop, ipad and our phones, running some camp lights, and keeping our fridge running off it. If the generator would charge the house battery in a couple of hours we could get a few days from it being careful with our usage.

thanks for the information.
If you are using a stand alone LiPo charger not over 5-6Amps.should be no problem. I’m not sure if the Honda has a 12v DC port for charging but its probably unregulated.