2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
I'm looking at a few mods right now and many come with a bare option or powder coating option. I'm trying to keep the budget in check and was wondering what people more knowledgeable than myself think. For things like bumpers, racks, etc that can be bought with a bare metal option, is using paint on/ spray on bed liner a viable option to powder coating. What would be the pros and cons?

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Bedliner is cheaper but in my opinion powder coating will last a long time. JMO. Also what is it that your wanting to paint ? That would also be a determining factor.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was going to take my bumpers down to the powder coater. He can do a nice wrinkle finish in a semi gloss that just rocks. Powder coat was a few hundred dollars. I have Monsta Liner on the sides of my cruiser. It also comes in colors and has a nice wrinkle finish. $50 for quality bed liner in the color I want. If the powder coating is done well, it wont chip easy. If I lived in an area that had rust, I would not do powder coat. It has a chance to bleed moisture underneath and rust. Gawd the powder coat does look nice though.

I haven't decided which way Im going to go yet. If your going to use tie downs on powder coat, you may chip it. You can do the same with the bed liner but it's easier to patch. If you choose bed liner, you have to buy good. No cheap auto parts crap. I have used Raptor liner and Monsta liner. The Raptor is on my trailer and the Monsta on my cruiser. I applied both. Was fairly simple. Prep is everything and no finer than 200 grit sand paper. 120 grit is best.

Good luck with your decision

Scott

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Bedliner is way heavier than powdercoat. Powdercoating looks nicer. Some types of bedliners chip, even the pro stuff from the dealers. Powdercoating is expensive, which makes you not want to ruin it...

In all honesty black spray paint is great, because when you scrape it up, which will happen, you can respray it for dollars, not hundreds of dollars. Not saying I would do that... I’m a powdercoat guy... but in recent years I’m beginning to understand how keeping it cheap and easy makes more sense.

James

Reactions: SubeeBen

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
In all honesty black spray paint is great, because when you scrape it up, which will happen, you can respray it for dollars, not hundreds of dollars. Not saying I would do that... I’m a powdercoat guy... but in recent years I’m beginning to understand how keeping it cheap and easy makes more sense.

James
+1 on the rattle can.

Powder coating is great for the convenience factor, but I have not been impressed with its properties long term. It is all too easy to get a nick or scratch in it, and then rust gets started underneath it. Add a couple of years and suddenly the powder coating is coming off in pieces and revealing substantial rust and pitting underneath it. That doesn't leave me happy with the product.

I like powder coating for interior items and brackets and such that won't be likely to meet with brush and rocks, but not for bumpers/armor/suspension/undercarriage components.

Note that I have been having things powder coated for over 20 years. My powder coater recognizes me when I come in the door, or meet him at a swap meet. I still use powder coating for certain things, but not anywhere near as much as I used to.

Reactions: Nate102