SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
So, here's a topic I've wanted to bring up here for a while, and its pretty relevant after our latest Death Valley trip where our trucks didn't have any major mechanical issues but another truck in the group had a driveshaft CV joint go south on us.

What are your post overland and off-road trip inspection routines like?

- Do you just take your rig to the shop and hope for the best?
- Do you ignore it for a month until the next trip and wonder why something broke?
- Do you crawl under it after every trip and investigate every single scratch and drop?

Personally, I like to crawl under our rigs and get an idea of what is happening with all the parts and see how stuff is doing. In no order I'll look at:
- The underside of the engine, and cables/harnessess/hoses then the top side of engine and cables/harnesses/hoses. I also like to look for dirt and crap in the radiator.
- Transmission/transfercase then I'll move on to the driveshafts, driveshaft joints/boots/CV's and see how they're doing.
- I'll look for new dings in the skidplates, rocker rails, etc and touch up if needed.
- I'll inspect the shocks/bumps/brake lines/axle housings for anything leaking fluid not anywhere its supposed to be.
- Inspection of the control arms/bushings/track bar/sway bars for wear, anything loose or broken.

My Jeep is my daily driver so I find that being through like this is a good way to not have any weird problems on my commute or any suprisises happen to me while driving the truck normally. My partners truck is in a similar boat, and we're still really getting it fine tuned for seeing lots of off road miles and heavy use/shorter maintenance cycle that comes with that, so we still have some growing pains.

On her truck, post-trip, we found two hard lines rubbing, witness marks from that rubbing, so thats something that has to get fixed.
We also broke a limit strap mount on the frame so I'll be grinding out some of my old welds and re-welding it back on. We have to drop the steering rack and some other junk to do this, but its needed to do it the right way.
We also bent a lower shock bar-pin in the front, from compression it looks like. i'm not sure how this happened because the bump stops are dialed in to be at full compression before the shock tops out, but who knows if it just faguited and bent from 300 miles in Death Valley. But because of this, Bump stops are something we'll be looking at a bit more closely.

The biggest thing I've found over the years of off-roading and exploring is taking immaculate care of your truck mechanically is a very important aspect of traveling safely in remote parts of the world and getting out in one piece.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
HI Juliette,

This is a very important topic. Thanks for drawing attention to it!

A very accurate technical preparation of the vehicle means fewer or no problems and more fun on the trip.

Especially when going on longer trips I often say "Better to have one more oil change" because this could lead to the early detection of upcoming damages.

Furthermore a good basic knowledge about the rig is essential when going overlanding. Ideas:
  • Have a look in the workshop if possible
  • Attend a mechanical course if possible
  • Carry a good vehicle-specific repair manual
  • Familiarize yourself with the vehicle
Better to prepare well in advance than to have stress on the way!

Cheers, Bjoern

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We check the vehicle daily, do a more extensive check weekly, and when we return from a big trip we do a full inspection - principally suspension, steering, brakes. We put the vehicle in to the dealership for a service sooner rather than later (and follow the service schedule rigorously during the trip).

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

rho,
Did you see the latest video by 4wd 24/7 ? Washing and cleaning up your vehicle after wheeling is a good way to start the “inspection” of your ride. Taking a paint pen or even permanent marker and marking all the nuts helps to spot loosening of things too. I should do a better job of inspection of things than I do! I do a simple check each day out and before wheeling. And keep up on the maintanince of my vehicle. Vance.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
rho,
Did you see the latest video by 4wd 24/7 ? Washing and cleaning up your vehicle after wheeling is a good way to start the “inspection” of your ride. Taking a paint pen or even permanent marker and marking all the nuts helps to spot loosening of things too. I should do a better job of inspection of things than I do! I do a simple check each day out and before wheeling. And keep up on the maintanince of my vehicle. Vance.
Very good! Washing and cleaning before working on the vehicle is the basis for good maintenance. I always wonder when people are working on dirty rigs. How could they do proper work then? Also general cleaning from time to time is an important part of let´s call it maintenance because sometimes you take a closer look then and maybe you detect potential failures earlier.

Reactions: rho

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
My post trip inspections typically fall in line with my regular maintenance. I have found very few surprises under the rig after a trip since I am constantly pulling skids to grease or replace the lube in something.

• First thing is first, wash the rig at a carwash not in the driveway. Not only does a clean rig help you spot loose fasteners or fluids seeping, washing it where the waste water is treated helps prevent to spread of invasive micro organisms and plant species to other environments.
  • The visual. Look for any new damage or anything that looks different. I do not take any of my vehicles to a shop for service and can quickly identify something that may be 'off'.
  • Perform additional maintenance. I drive my vehicles a lot and generally end up doing a quarterly oil change and lube so I don't usually worry about greasing driveshafts or inspecting bushings. However, if the trip sent me through deep water I will grease the driveshafts and change the diff fluid.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I gotta admit, I hate washing my Jeep. Its black, huge, and dealing with water spots is a huge pain.... Its still something we do, even if we dislike it because of the salts out in the desert here. Our truck is marginally easier to keep clean.

I generally solve the dirty jeep problem with safety glasses when working on the thing...

• The visual. Look for any new damage or anything that looks different. I do not take any of my vehicles to a shop for service and can quickly identify something that may be 'off'.
  • Perform additional maintenance. I drive my vehicles a lot and generally end up doing a quarterly oil change and lube so I don't usually worry about greasing driveshafts or inspecting bushings. However, if the trip sent me through deep water I will grease the driveshafts and change the diff fluid.
^ 100% this. I put a ton of miles on my jeep in a year so i tend to do oil changes every three months, which comes out to around 5k or 6k miles generally. I also rotate tires, inspect brake pads, grease everything (ball joints, steering, control arms... Its a lot.), adjust parking brake pads, etc. Its a lot, but its worth it when you end up putting 1k plus miles on the rig in a weekend and then have to go drive it to work Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: KonzaLander

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Great topic!

After driving offroad I stop as soon as I hit pavement and do a semi-quick check while I air up for any obvious issues that could cause a catastrophic failure while driving. This includes eyeballing the control arms, upper and lower ball joints, cv axles, steering (TREs, boots, etc), shocks, suspension mounting brackets (control arms, leaf springs), tires, etc. Basically I look for anything that is damaged or obviously loose or falling off. Once on the road I keep the radio off and the windows down for a bit and listen for any weird noises. I also pay attention for any new vibrations or squeaks, and aggressively steer back and forth a bit to make sure things feel tight. If it was a particularly rocky trail I'll crawl under the truck when I get home, otherwise I'll inspect it during the next oil change and shoot some spray paint on any places that were scraped to bare metal.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve been dragging around a 30lb tool bag for years. It has all the wrenches, sockets, breaker bars, etc etc etc, to do just about anything that needs to be done. I’ve had to go to my tool kit only twice in the past 25 years during our trips. Once was to replace a blown axle on the trailer, and once was to put a slipper spring back together after hundreds of miles of washboard roads. Both problems have since been upgraded. Two reasons my tool kit has never been used on my Landcruiser. while on a trip. I’m anal retentive with preventative maintenance & it is, after all, a Landcruiser. They just don’t break.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
So, pictures are great... here's the post trip carnage from my partners truck. This was 300 miles of Death Valley, with the truck being driven SUPER hard. Its a 2wd fullsize with a rear locker so a fair mount of "send it" was required to get up Swansea Grade, to get down Lippencott Pass, and to go up and down Steele Pass...

At some point my partner came down hard on this bash bar/skid bar. Normally for desert stuff its not something we'd whack ever, but on this trip there was a lot more technical driving and she came off of a rock onto this bar at one point, Deffo something to upgrade in the future.
IMG_20201027_172521.jpg

Lower Bar pin on one of the front shocks. It got a bit bent from something. The bumpstop on the frame, that contacted the control arm had good witness marks and was fully engaging through the full range of motion. The shocks also have about 1/4" of travel left at full compression of the bumpstop so i'm not sure why this fatigued like this. At least we have spare bar pins! on hand here!
IMG_20201027_172412.jpg

This is the limit strap clevis on the frame. My crappy welds lead to it getting torn off.
Whoops.
I'm actually about to go downstairs to go pull the steering rack, pull the strap from the other side, clean it on both sides and then re-weld it. I've improved a bit from when I first did this....

IMG_20201027_172053.jpg

Engine oil cooler line... Its apparently rubbing on the power steering line and has some wear. Not sure what happened with this that lead to it getting into contact with the other line, but a project for today is to go make a bracket to support it better.

IMG_20201027_172037.jpg

This stuff is why the post trip inspections are CRITICAL. If the engine oil cooler line let go, that'd be a full loss of engine oil. the other stuff isn't a big issue but i'm super glad that we were able to find that line and fix it before the next trip.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@rho you pretty much covered it,

There is a post further down about lights I check those as part of it and tires check for slashes, bubbles or other damage

During trip the if multiple days (I carry a big canvas tarp to lay on):
  • Check all fluids that I can visually or via dip stick
  • Air cleaner
  • Quick visual check underneath diffs, transfer case transmission exhaust
  • Tires again
  • Clean windows
  • External stowage

Reactions: rho and Sparksalot

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I keep up on regular maintenance so well I don't worry about other inspections. Also being a professional mechanic I usually pickup on things before they cause failures. Finally I'm never to proud to stop and look. I stop on trails quite often to look things over, this keeps me out of most trouble...

Reactions: rho and rgallant

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I keep up on regular maintenance so well I don't worry about other inspections. Also being a professional mechanic I usually pickup on things before they cause failures. Finally I'm never to proud to stop and look. I stop on trails quite often to look things over, this keeps me out of most trouble...
Keeping up on regular maintenance and giving the truck a once over after at a trip aren't mutually exclusive in my experience, even on mellow trips. Stuff always has a chance to break or fail or start rubbing weirdly no matter what. Driving style and how one is using a truck comes into it as well...

I very much agree with ya on trying to catch things long before they become a problem, it also makes it a lot easier to fix in my experience. :P