Possibly moving from Vegas to NW Arkansas

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I grew up in Ohio in the 70s and 80s, lived in Alabama and Colorado, but have been living in Las Vegas, NV since 1993. I’m ready to leave the desert and there is an opportunity to move to the Bentonville, AR area because of my wife’s job. She has been out there a few times and says once I get there I won’t want to leave (and she knows me well). I do love the wide open spaces of the West, but have always missed the “green” of where I grew up. I’ll be headed out there for two weeks end of This month, beginning of next. I’m ready for a change and am excited about checking out the area.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I live Arkansas in a small community in the Ozark Mountains (east of Bentonville 4 1\2 hrs). Their is tons of areas to explore & camp: Ozark Mountains \ Ozark Plateau, Ouachita National Forest, St. Francis National Forest, Ozark National Forest, Barkshed Recreation Area (which I like). These are only a few areas, go south & south east their are more. You'll have tons to do. Welcome to the Natural State.
012.JPG 008.JPG

Last edited:

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

You will love our state if you do actually take the opportunity to move here. In NW Arkansas you will be in a perfect spot situated around the Ozarks NF and the Mark Twain NF just to the north of you in Missouri. We have a great group here and if you are going to be around on the weekend of the 28th we are having a bonfire get together with guys from all over the state in a place that will not be far from you if you can get away. Would love to have you come out and meet everyone. Let me know and I can give you the details.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Having done a little reasearch about the area, the input from you guys is no surprise and only reinforces the appeal of the area. My wife works for a company out of Southern California but there is no way I can live in California because I love my freedom and my guns too much. Looking at other options, they are involved in the Bentonville Film Festival and have 5 acres they want to develop into a production facility. When I heard about this I jokingly told my wife I’d move to Arkansas in a heartbeat and it actually evolved into a serious conversation.

Reactions: ASRussell

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

the question to ask your self is, if our weather is going to be a problem: spring time tornados, extreme thunder storms & flash floods, 60 plus inches & up of rain yearly, humidity high as 89 % to low as 45%.
Personally I can not find any reason NOT to live here in Arkansas. I'm a X-Cali who left almost 20 yrs ago for (infringing rights & freedom reasons). On most part the people are good folks.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Well, sounds like the 15+ years I spent in Ohio. I’ll just have to start oiling my guns.
Sounds like you might've been a SW Ohio guy. . .been through a lot of that there myself. You'll most likely love Arkansas after years in Vegas; huge difference and a ton of good folk in Arkansas, as you're seeing.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I grew up in Ohio in the 70s and 80s, lived in Alabama and Colorado, but have been living in Las Vegas, NV since 1993. I’m ready to leave the desert and there is an opportunity to move to the Bentonville, AR area because of my wife’s job. She has been out there a few times and says once I get there I won’t want to leave (and she knows me well). I do love the wide open spaces of the West, but have always missed the “green” of where I grew up. I’ll be headed out there for two weeks end of This month, beginning of next. I’m ready for a change and am excited about checking out the area.
You'll love the area, ESPECIALLY if you own a mtn bike.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I love Arkansas, specifically the Ozarks area around Cass. It's about a 4hr drive for me and well worth it. The people, trails, scenery is all fantastic. I think you are really going to enjoy it. It will be a lot more humid than Vegas but that's what swimming holes are for.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I do miss the hospitality of the Midwest and South. I find Californians as a rule to be rude and Vegas is full of them. Plus the transient nature of the town means people aren’t putting down roots and never get to know their neighbors. I am social by nature, which can drive my wife nuts, and make friends everywhere I go.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I do miss the hospitality of the Midwest and South. I find Californians as a rule to be rude and Vegas is full of them. Plus the transient nature of the town means people aren’t putting down roots and never get to know their neighbors. I am social by nature, which can drive my wife nuts, and make friends everywhere I go.
That's the SW Ohio in ya! I'm the same way, and my kid is always saying "Jeez Dad, you get into conversations everywhere you go like they've been your friend forever!. Leave you alone for a sec and then turn around, and you're deep into a chat with someone"

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Initial impressions of Arkansas...Bentonville feels like Pleasantville or Stepford Wives. It’s a chunk of California liberalism in the heart of Northwest Arkansas. Travel a few miles out of town and it’s the Southern Midwest that is so appealing to me. If asked today to relocate to the area, it’s a hearty hell ya!

Reactions: Road

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

We relocated here to NW Arkansas 6 months ago from just south of Seattle. I can tell you I will never go back. I have put 12k miles on my 4runner in 5 months here exploring the Ozarks, and we have a list of places we still need to see that will keep us busy the rest of the summer.

Reactions: PinnaclePete